Apr 4, 2010, 6:25 PM EST
It’s official: the Los Angeles Kings will be in the playoffs for the first time since 2002. The Chicago Blackhawks – a team they may end up facing in the first round – actually clinched it for them by beating the Calgary Flames 4-1 today. So any fears that the Kings’ media staff jinxed them out of the post-season when they announced their “Back in Black” promotion can be put to rest.
Obviously, a lot has changed within the organization since the 2001-02 season. Only Mathieu Schneider, Ian Laperrierre and Lubomir Visnovsky remain in the NHL with Schneider on the verge of retirement. There isn’t a single player on the Kings from that roster. The general manager and head coach are also different.
This has been a great season for the Kings, highlighted by great play from Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Quick. Really, the team has a little bit of everything from talented young players to gritty veterans. I wouldn’t say that they’re a strong contender just yet (they’re at least a year away, in my opinion) but they have a deep and promising roster that very well could make some waves in the playoffs.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)