Apr 4, 2010, 6:25 PM EDT
It’s official: the Los Angeles Kings will be in the playoffs for the first time since 2002. The Chicago Blackhawks – a team they may end up facing in the first round – actually clinched it for them by beating the Calgary Flames 4-1 today. So any fears that the Kings’ media staff jinxed them out of the post-season when they announced their “Back in Black” promotion can be put to rest.
Obviously, a lot has changed within the organization since the 2001-02 season. Only Mathieu Schneider, Ian Laperrierre and Lubomir Visnovsky remain in the NHL with Schneider on the verge of retirement. There isn’t a single player on the Kings from that roster. The general manager and head coach are also different.
This has been a great season for the Kings, highlighted by great play from Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Quick. Really, the team has a little bit of everything from talented young players to gritty veterans. I wouldn’t say that they’re a strong contender just yet (they’re at least a year away, in my opinion) but they have a deep and promising roster that very well could make some waves in the playoffs.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)