Apr 4, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
We’ve spoken a ton about how goaltending is one of the main stories for the Red Wings and Flyers, but perhaps injuries are the real bullet point to look at. After all, Detroit is mysteriously on fire now that the team is mostly healthy while Philadelphia is in disarray because of some crucial missing pieces.
Abel 2 Yzerman’s preview included a nice rundown of the two team’s injury situations, including expected return dates for the wounded players.
Dan Cleary (LW/RW) Groin (Day to day)
Kirk Maltby (RW/LW) Shoulder surgery (Early April)
Mike Rathje (D) Groin (Remainder of season)
Michael Leighton (G) Left ankle injury (Remainder of season)
Ray Emery (G) Groin (Remainder of season)
Jeff Carter (C) Left foot injury (Mid-April)
Daniel Carcillo (LW/RW) Suspended ()
Johan Backlund (G) Groin (Early April)
Say what you want about the Flyers’ lack of moves in net, it’s pretty hard to prepare for three goalie injuries (two of which were season ending). Of course, it’s also not very easy to deal with injuries to star players like Jeff Carter either.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 9
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 13
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2