Apr 4, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
We’ve spoken a ton about how goaltending is one of the main stories for the Red Wings and Flyers, but perhaps injuries are the real bullet point to look at. After all, Detroit is mysteriously on fire now that the team is mostly healthy while Philadelphia is in disarray because of some crucial missing pieces.
Abel 2 Yzerman’s preview included a nice rundown of the two team’s injury situations, including expected return dates for the wounded players.
Dan Cleary (LW/RW) Groin (Day to day)
Kirk Maltby (RW/LW) Shoulder surgery (Early April)
Mike Rathje (D) Groin (Remainder of season)
Michael Leighton (G) Left ankle injury (Remainder of season)
Ray Emery (G) Groin (Remainder of season)
Jeff Carter (C) Left foot injury (Mid-April)
Daniel Carcillo (LW/RW) Suspended ()
Johan Backlund (G) Groin (Early April)
Say what you want about the Flyers’ lack of moves in net, it’s pretty hard to prepare for three goalie injuries (two of which were season ending). Of course, it’s also not very easy to deal with injuries to star players like Jeff Carter either.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 22
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11