Apr 4, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Simply put, I’m a sucker for great puck movement. After all, I did name a blog Cycle like the Sedins for goodness sakes. Tonight’s games featured three fantastic examples of smart passing and – to be honest – I couldn’t decide between them. (Carlo Colaiacovo scored a splendid backhand goal too. You should check that one out as well.)
The first goal is more of an individual moment, as the resurgent Maxim Afinogenov scored off a give-and-go that spotlighted the former Buffalo Sabres’ world class speed and creativity. It’s a beauty to watch.
After that, I have two great examples of brilliant tic-tac-toe passing. It almost seems like Pavel Datsyuk is a mandatory entry on our Goal of the Night posts; in this situation he sparks a wonderful chain reaction of passes that ended up being a Brian Rafalski goal. Datysuk also scored a huge tying goal that allowed the Red Wings to squeeze a charity point out of the night.
Finally, you can’t blame the Penguins for missing Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin after witnessing marvelous plays like this. Sidney Crosby wins the faceoff and then the puck is moved from Penguin to Penguin in a dizzying display of gorgeous puck movement. Gonchar (1 goal, 1 assist), Malkin (1 goal, 1 assist) and Crosby (3 assists) ended up making the difference for a Pittsburgh OT win that broke more than a few hearts in Atlanta.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 0
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 3
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 10
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 3
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)