Apr 4, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers had the right idea. They came out with a strong forecheck and lots of energy against a much more talented team that played yesterday, and it paid off. Carcillo opened the scoring 17 seconds into the game, and Kimmo Timmonen put the Flyers up 2-0 not long after.
Chris Osgood did not look good on either goal, he was out of position horribly on the Timmonen goal and the Flyers took advantage.
Then Boucher lost all control on the other end and the life was sucked out of Wachovia. He failed to control a number of tight rebounds before Cleary knocked the puck in, and instantly the Flyers defense regressed to “stand around and watch the Red Wings” approaches. On Helm’s goal, Pronger just stood and watched the puck flop around the crease. Not a flinch.
It’s a microcosm of the Flyers’ season so far, and it’s obvious that Boucher is likely not able to lead this team to postseason glory. He may not allow them to even get there.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)