Apr 4, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Forgive some hockey fans if they feel a little nostalgic about this afternoon’s goalie matchup between Brian “Don’t call me Bobby” Boucher and Chris Osgood. Boucher’s first tenure with the Flyers came from 99-02 while Osgood is a longtime Red Wing himself (despite bouncing around to the Islanders and Blues as well).
Both goalies are dealing with forgettable seasons.
For Osgood, he ceded the No. 1 spot to Calder-Vezina-dare-some-say-Hart candidate Jimmy Howard. You cannot blame the Red Wings for turning away from the guy who seemingly only wakes up for the playoffs; Osgood only produced 8 wins in 22 starts with a pathetic 89 percent save percentage. Today will mark his first start in months and one must wonder if he’ll even get the chance to prove that the playoffs are his time to shine since Howard has earned the chance to prove himself.
In the case of Boucher, he seems to be the last goalie standing in Philadelphia. With Ray Emery and Michael Leighton suffering ill-timed season-ending injuries (though one must wonder if there’s ever a good time for a goalie’s year to be over), the team is forced to place all their hopes in the journeyman backup. His 6-17-3 record indicates that he’s meant to be the second banana – or play in the AHL – during this stage of his career.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)