Apr 4, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Forgive some hockey fans if they feel a little nostalgic about this afternoon’s goalie matchup between Brian “Don’t call me Bobby” Boucher and Chris Osgood. Boucher’s first tenure with the Flyers came from 99-02 while Osgood is a longtime Red Wing himself (despite bouncing around to the Islanders and Blues as well).
Both goalies are dealing with forgettable seasons.
For Osgood, he ceded the No. 1 spot to Calder-Vezina-dare-some-say-Hart candidate Jimmy Howard. You cannot blame the Red Wings for turning away from the guy who seemingly only wakes up for the playoffs; Osgood only produced 8 wins in 22 starts with a pathetic 89 percent save percentage. Today will mark his first start in months and one must wonder if he’ll even get the chance to prove that the playoffs are his time to shine since Howard has earned the chance to prove himself.
In the case of Boucher, he seems to be the last goalie standing in Philadelphia. With Ray Emery and Michael Leighton suffering ill-timed season-ending injuries (though one must wonder if there’s ever a good time for a goalie’s year to be over), the team is forced to place all their hopes in the journeyman backup. His 6-17-3 record indicates that he’s meant to be the second banana – or play in the AHL – during this stage of his career.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 36
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)