Apr 4, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
My guess is that Blackhawk fans were cheering about more than just a free Egg McMuffin this afternoon. Thanks to Detroit’s loss, Chicago is now officially the 2009-10 Central division champions.
Chicago last captured its division when it earned the Norris Division crown during the 1992-93 season, finishing with a 47-25-12 (106 points) record.
The 2009-10 season marks the first time in 38 years the Blackhawks have registered consecutive 100-point seasons, while the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs will mark the first time in 13 years Chicago will make consecutive postseason appearances.
The Blackhawks are currently one victory away from matching the franchise record set in both 1970-71 and 1990-91 and four points away from tying the club record set in both 1970-71 and 1971-72. Chicago is also two points away from increasing its regular-season point total for the sixth consecutive season.
While some are fixated on problems in net and lapses in their defensive system, it’s important to note just how dramatic the team’s turnaround has been. In just a few years the team has gone from near-dead to a league-wide sensation.
Congratulations to the Blackhawks and all their fans for a great achievement and an impressive season overall. It will be interesting to see how far they can go in this year’s playoffs.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)