Apr 4, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
My guess is that Blackhawk fans were cheering about more than just a free Egg McMuffin this afternoon. Thanks to Detroit’s loss, Chicago is now officially the 2009-10 Central division champions.
Chicago last captured its division when it earned the Norris Division crown during the 1992-93 season, finishing with a 47-25-12 (106 points) record.
The 2009-10 season marks the first time in 38 years the Blackhawks have registered consecutive 100-point seasons, while the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs will mark the first time in 13 years Chicago will make consecutive postseason appearances.
The Blackhawks are currently one victory away from matching the franchise record set in both 1970-71 and 1990-91 and four points away from tying the club record set in both 1970-71 and 1971-72. Chicago is also two points away from increasing its regular-season point total for the sixth consecutive season.
While some are fixated on problems in net and lapses in their defensive system, it’s important to note just how dramatic the team’s turnaround has been. In just a few years the team has gone from near-dead to a league-wide sensation.
Congratulations to the Blackhawks and all their fans for a great achievement and an impressive season overall. It will be interesting to see how far they can go in this year’s playoffs.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off