Apr 3, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Last summer, the Stars held out hope that Swedish free agent Jonas
Gustavsson would choose to come to Dallas and be Marty Turco’s backup.
With Turco in the last year of his contract, it was entirely likely that
Gustavsson would have the chance to earn the starter’s sport for the
2010-11 season. He would ultimately choose Toronto, leaving the Stars out in the cold.
Now, the Dallas Stars are beginning a
walk down the same road, although I’m willing to bet they’ll tread a bit
more carefully this time around. Finnish goaltending free agent Jussi
Rynnas was in town on Thursday night, as he visited with team officials,
the coaches and Finnish legend Jere Lehtinen.
From Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:
was really a typical recruiting visit,” said Les Jackson,
the Stars director of scouting and player development. “We wanted to
let him know what we had to offer, and just show him how we operate.”
situation is a bit different with Rynnas than it was with Gustavsson,
as there is no pressure to promise him significant NHL minutes right
away; he’s reportedly open to spending some time in the AHL adjusting to
North American hockey.
The Stars were burned by Gustavsson’s
indecision last year (or, their stubbornness to believe he would
actually choose Dallas), and with Kari Lehtonen staking his claim on the
starter’s position for next season, there isn’t as much pressure on the
Stars to get Rynnas.
Yet the backup position is still up in the
air, and having two 6-5, mobile Finnish goaltenders on the roster would
make an G.M. drool.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)