Apr 3, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Last summer, the Stars held out hope that Swedish free agent Jonas
Gustavsson would choose to come to Dallas and be Marty Turco’s backup.
With Turco in the last year of his contract, it was entirely likely that
Gustavsson would have the chance to earn the starter’s sport for the
2010-11 season. He would ultimately choose Toronto, leaving the Stars out in the cold.
Now, the Dallas Stars are beginning a
walk down the same road, although I’m willing to bet they’ll tread a bit
more carefully this time around. Finnish goaltending free agent Jussi
Rynnas was in town on Thursday night, as he visited with team officials,
the coaches and Finnish legend Jere Lehtinen.
From Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:
was really a typical recruiting visit,” said Les Jackson,
the Stars director of scouting and player development. “We wanted to
let him know what we had to offer, and just show him how we operate.”
situation is a bit different with Rynnas than it was with Gustavsson,
as there is no pressure to promise him significant NHL minutes right
away; he’s reportedly open to spending some time in the AHL adjusting to
North American hockey.
The Stars were burned by Gustavsson’s
indecision last year (or, their stubbornness to believe he would
actually choose Dallas), and with Kari Lehtonen staking his claim on the
starter’s position for next season, there isn’t as much pressure on the
Stars to get Rynnas.
Yet the backup position is still up in the
air, and having two 6-5, mobile Finnish goaltenders on the roster would
make an G.M. drool.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)