Apr 3, 2010, 4:55 PM EST
The Nashville Predators proved that they are hotter than the Detroit Red Wings in the simplest way possible: by beating them. The Predators won the game 16 seconds into overtime thanks to a Ryan Suter goal, besting their divisional tormentors 4-3. The Predators guaranteed themselves a playoff berth with the win.
Of course, it would have been better if they had kept the Red Wings from earning a “charity point” but Pavel Datsyuk just has a pesky amount of mind blowing talent. Datsyuk scored a goal with 37 seconds left in the third period, continuing Detroit’s insane streak of scoring extremely timely goals.
It will still be an interesting race between the two Central division teams since the Red Wings have two more games to make up ground on the Predators, who have a two point lead. The Red Wings have absolutely been feasting on consolation points this year, getting a league leading 14 points from overtime or shootout losses. Here’s a quick look at the two teams’ remaining schedules.
Predators’ remaining two games: @ Phoenix, vs. St. Louis
Red Wings’ remaining four games: @ Philadelphia (on NBC tomorrow, jfyi), vs. Columbus, @ Columbus, @ Chicago
Which team do you think will take the West’s fifth seed?
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)