Apr 3, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators proved that they are hotter than the Detroit Red Wings in the simplest way possible: by beating them. The Predators won the game 16 seconds into overtime thanks to a Ryan Suter goal, besting their divisional tormentors 4-3. The Predators guaranteed themselves a playoff berth with the win.
Of course, it would have been better if they had kept the Red Wings from earning a “charity point” but Pavel Datsyuk just has a pesky amount of mind blowing talent. Datsyuk scored a goal with 37 seconds left in the third period, continuing Detroit’s insane streak of scoring extremely timely goals.
It will still be an interesting race between the two Central division teams since the Red Wings have two more games to make up ground on the Predators, who have a two point lead. The Red Wings have absolutely been feasting on consolation points this year, getting a league leading 14 points from overtime or shootout losses. Here’s a quick look at the two teams’ remaining schedules.
Predators’ remaining two games: @ Phoenix, vs. St. Louis
Red Wings’ remaining four games: @ Philadelphia (on NBC tomorrow, jfyi), vs. Columbus, @ Columbus, @ Chicago
Which team do you think will take the West’s fifth seed?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)