Apr 3, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators proved that they are hotter than the Detroit Red Wings in the simplest way possible: by beating them. The Predators won the game 16 seconds into overtime thanks to a Ryan Suter goal, besting their divisional tormentors 4-3. The Predators guaranteed themselves a playoff berth with the win.
Of course, it would have been better if they had kept the Red Wings from earning a “charity point” but Pavel Datsyuk just has a pesky amount of mind blowing talent. Datsyuk scored a goal with 37 seconds left in the third period, continuing Detroit’s insane streak of scoring extremely timely goals.
It will still be an interesting race between the two Central division teams since the Red Wings have two more games to make up ground on the Predators, who have a two point lead. The Red Wings have absolutely been feasting on consolation points this year, getting a league leading 14 points from overtime or shootout losses. Here’s a quick look at the two teams’ remaining schedules.
Predators’ remaining two games: @ Phoenix, vs. St. Louis
Red Wings’ remaining four games: @ Philadelphia (on NBC tomorrow, jfyi), vs. Columbus, @ Columbus, @ Chicago
Which team do you think will take the West’s fifth seed?
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires