Apr 3, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators proved that they are hotter than the Detroit Red Wings in the simplest way possible: by beating them. The Predators won the game 16 seconds into overtime thanks to a Ryan Suter goal, besting their divisional tormentors 4-3. The Predators guaranteed themselves a playoff berth with the win.
Of course, it would have been better if they had kept the Red Wings from earning a “charity point” but Pavel Datsyuk just has a pesky amount of mind blowing talent. Datsyuk scored a goal with 37 seconds left in the third period, continuing Detroit’s insane streak of scoring extremely timely goals.
It will still be an interesting race between the two Central division teams since the Red Wings have two more games to make up ground on the Predators, who have a two point lead. The Red Wings have absolutely been feasting on consolation points this year, getting a league leading 14 points from overtime or shootout losses. Here’s a quick look at the two teams’ remaining schedules.
Predators’ remaining two games: @ Phoenix, vs. St. Louis
Red Wings’ remaining four games: @ Philadelphia (on NBC tomorrow, jfyi), vs. Columbus, @ Columbus, @ Chicago
Which team do you think will take the West’s fifth seed?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)