Apr 3, 2010, 4:55 PM EST
The Nashville Predators proved that they are hotter than the Detroit Red Wings in the simplest way possible: by beating them. The Predators won the game 16 seconds into overtime thanks to a Ryan Suter goal, besting their divisional tormentors 4-3. The Predators guaranteed themselves a playoff berth with the win.
Of course, it would have been better if they had kept the Red Wings from earning a “charity point” but Pavel Datsyuk just has a pesky amount of mind blowing talent. Datsyuk scored a goal with 37 seconds left in the third period, continuing Detroit’s insane streak of scoring extremely timely goals.
It will still be an interesting race between the two Central division teams since the Red Wings have two more games to make up ground on the Predators, who have a two point lead. The Red Wings have absolutely been feasting on consolation points this year, getting a league leading 14 points from overtime or shootout losses. Here’s a quick look at the two teams’ remaining schedules.
Predators’ remaining two games: @ Phoenix, vs. St. Louis
Red Wings’ remaining four games: @ Philadelphia (on NBC tomorrow, jfyi), vs. Columbus, @ Columbus, @ Chicago
Which team do you think will take the West’s fifth seed?
- Trade: Rangers land Keith Yandle 0
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 17
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (129)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)