Apr 3, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
The trials and tribulations of the Philadelphia Flyers are pretty well known at this point, but exactly how bad is the end of their season? SBN’s Bird Watchers Anonymous took a deeper look at how the Eastern Conference playoff race is wrapping up and one of the most startling things to read is about the Flyers.
In MOST years, the playoff bubble teams up the ante and earn points at a slightly higher rate than they did before the trade deadline. It makes sense that the playoff bubble teams have the most to play for and they usually elevate their performance.
PHI has been terrible, slumping from a 93 point pace to 67 point pace that would put them in draft lottery land over a full season.
That kind of points drop-off is dramatic, to say the least, and it’s pretty easy to point fingers at goaltending for a brutal finish as Philadelphia has been , that brings their goalie total to seven players who have suited up to play this year alone and they’re still looking around for help from the college ranks according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
It’s safe to say that Flyers GM Paul Holmgren, or any GM for that matter, can’t aptly prepare for such an injury fiasco at one position. That said, opportunities were reportedly there for Philly at the trade deadline and Holmgren opted to stand pat during the trade deadline. Clearly, there’s not a lot that can be done now and the Flyers are doing as best as they can to fill holes, but you can’t help but figure that a lot of questions will be asked and answers are going to be demanded in Philadelphia should the Flyers come up short of the playoffs.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32