Apr 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
There’s little doubt in my mind that Tanner Glass was guilty of charging Jeff Halpern in last night’s Kings-Canucks game, but the question is: should the hit be the first offender of the league’s new rules on blindside hits? Click here for a video of the hit in question.
Last night’s game was a brutal affair that also featured a scary moment in which Alex Burrows took a shot to the throat. The hit was discussed in this short story from Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province.
Halpern’s head slammed into the boards and he left the game. Glass was assessed a two-minute charging penalty.
“I thought it was a clean hit,” Glass said.
“I was coming in on the forecheck, he knew I was there. He exposed the puck and I finished the check. The explanation I got was that I have to let up on that.
“I don’t agree with them but that’s how it goes.”
I often find it difficult to judge hits like these along the boards, but Glass took plenty of strides. Is it suspension-worthy? I’m not quite sure. The league certainly has made it difficult for me to judge one borderline hit from another. I wonder if that’s the ultimate plan …
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)