Apr 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EST
There’s little doubt in my mind that Tanner Glass was guilty of charging Jeff Halpern in last night’s Kings-Canucks game, but the question is: should the hit be the first offender of the league’s new rules on blindside hits? Click here for a video of the hit in question.
Last night’s game was a brutal affair that also featured a scary moment in which Alex Burrows took a shot to the throat. The hit was discussed in this short story from Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province.
Halpern’s head slammed into the boards and he left the game. Glass was assessed a two-minute charging penalty.
“I thought it was a clean hit,” Glass said.
“I was coming in on the forecheck, he knew I was there. He exposed the puck and I finished the check. The explanation I got was that I have to let up on that.
“I don’t agree with them but that’s how it goes.”
I often find it difficult to judge hits like these along the boards, but Glass took plenty of strides. Is it suspension-worthy? I’m not quite sure. The league certainly has made it difficult for me to judge one borderline hit from another. I wonder if that’s the ultimate plan …
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)