Apr 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
There’s little doubt in my mind that Tanner Glass was guilty of charging Jeff Halpern in last night’s Kings-Canucks game, but the question is: should the hit be the first offender of the league’s new rules on blindside hits? Click here for a video of the hit in question.
Last night’s game was a brutal affair that also featured a scary moment in which Alex Burrows took a shot to the throat. The hit was discussed in this short story from Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province.
Halpern’s head slammed into the boards and he left the game. Glass was assessed a two-minute charging penalty.
“I thought it was a clean hit,” Glass said.
“I was coming in on the forecheck, he knew I was there. He exposed the puck and I finished the check. The explanation I got was that I have to let up on that.
“I don’t agree with them but that’s how it goes.”
I often find it difficult to judge hits like these along the boards, but Glass took plenty of strides. Is it suspension-worthy? I’m not quite sure. The league certainly has made it difficult for me to judge one borderline hit from another. I wonder if that’s the ultimate plan …
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 2
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 17
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)