Apr 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
There’s little doubt in my mind that Tanner Glass was guilty of charging Jeff Halpern in last night’s Kings-Canucks game, but the question is: should the hit be the first offender of the league’s new rules on blindside hits? Click here for a video of the hit in question.
Last night’s game was a brutal affair that also featured a scary moment in which Alex Burrows took a shot to the throat. The hit was discussed in this short story from Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province.
Halpern’s head slammed into the boards and he left the game. Glass was assessed a two-minute charging penalty.
“I thought it was a clean hit,” Glass said.
“I was coming in on the forecheck, he knew I was there. He exposed the puck and I finished the check. The explanation I got was that I have to let up on that.
“I don’t agree with them but that’s how it goes.”
I often find it difficult to judge hits like these along the boards, but Glass took plenty of strides. Is it suspension-worthy? I’m not quite sure. The league certainly has made it difficult for me to judge one borderline hit from another. I wonder if that’s the ultimate plan …
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 2
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1