Apr 2, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
There’s little doubt in my mind that Tanner Glass was guilty of charging Jeff Halpern in last night’s Kings-Canucks game, but the question is: should the hit be the first offender of the league’s new rules on blindside hits? Click here for a video of the hit in question.
Last night’s game was a brutal affair that also featured a scary moment in which Alex Burrows took a shot to the throat. The hit was discussed in this short story from Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province.
Halpern’s head slammed into the boards and he left the game. Glass was assessed a two-minute charging penalty.
“I thought it was a clean hit,” Glass said.
“I was coming in on the forecheck, he knew I was there. He exposed the puck and I finished the check. The explanation I got was that I have to let up on that.
“I don’t agree with them but that’s how it goes.”
I often find it difficult to judge hits like these along the boards, but Glass took plenty of strides. Is it suspension-worthy? I’m not quite sure. The league certainly has made it difficult for me to judge one borderline hit from another. I wonder if that’s the ultimate plan …
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (74)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)