Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, there isn’t a bigger dual shot of comedy than the Philadelphia Flyers signing Sebastien Caron, but I have to admit that even I feel pretty bad for fans of the Broadstreet Bullies. Travis at Broadstreet Hockey shared that news and his commentary on the sad situation is spot-on.
We’ll link you his numbers here, but just know that he wasn’t all that great over there. Swiss hockey isn’t exactly the Swedish Elite league, either. He’s just not a good goalie, hence one of the reasons the Penguins went ahead and drafted Marc-Andre Fleury.
Earlier this week, Paul Holmgren said he was after any and all options in the Flyers crease. It’s safe to say now that was an accurate statement. It shows clear desperation in the Flyers front office. Beyond that, really. It’s just… a complete nightmare. Words don’t describe.
Brian Boucher hasn’t gotten the job done for whatever reason, and with Johan Backlund out and the only other option being an ECHL-caliber guy, Caron is going to have to be the answer. Will he be Boucher’s backup? That’s up to Laviolette, I’m sure. Either way, he’s likely an upgrade from Jeremy Duchesne. Notice how I said likely and not definitely, by the way.
Ouch. It’s been a rough year for the Flyers in net, even for a team so constantly tormented by problems in net that I made the analogy of “the Flyers are to goalies what the Chicago Bears are to quarterbacks.”
On one hand, you cannot blame Holmgren and Co. for not being able to see another devastating goalie injury after Ray Emery’s problems. That being said, if I were running the team, I’d have to always assume Murphy’s law with goalies. The team simply keeps getting burnt by counting on career backups, cheap unproven starters and reclamation projects.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, so I guess the plus for the Flyers is that they won’t be paying the journeyman Caron much money at all.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 49
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 24
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 22
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (76)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)