Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, there isn’t a bigger dual shot of comedy than the Philadelphia Flyers signing Sebastien Caron, but I have to admit that even I feel pretty bad for fans of the Broadstreet Bullies. Travis at Broadstreet Hockey shared that news and his commentary on the sad situation is spot-on.
We’ll link you his numbers here, but just know that he wasn’t all that great over there. Swiss hockey isn’t exactly the Swedish Elite league, either. He’s just not a good goalie, hence one of the reasons the Penguins went ahead and drafted Marc-Andre Fleury.
Earlier this week, Paul Holmgren said he was after any and all options in the Flyers crease. It’s safe to say now that was an accurate statement. It shows clear desperation in the Flyers front office. Beyond that, really. It’s just… a complete nightmare. Words don’t describe.
Brian Boucher hasn’t gotten the job done for whatever reason, and with Johan Backlund out and the only other option being an ECHL-caliber guy, Caron is going to have to be the answer. Will he be Boucher’s backup? That’s up to Laviolette, I’m sure. Either way, he’s likely an upgrade from Jeremy Duchesne. Notice how I said likely and not definitely, by the way.
Ouch. It’s been a rough year for the Flyers in net, even for a team so constantly tormented by problems in net that I made the analogy of “the Flyers are to goalies what the Chicago Bears are to quarterbacks.”
On one hand, you cannot blame Holmgren and Co. for not being able to see another devastating goalie injury after Ray Emery’s problems. That being said, if I were running the team, I’d have to always assume Murphy’s law with goalies. The team simply keeps getting burnt by counting on career backups, cheap unproven starters and reclamation projects.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, so I guess the plus for the Flyers is that they won’t be paying the journeyman Caron much money at all.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)