Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, there isn’t a bigger dual shot of comedy than the Philadelphia Flyers signing Sebastien Caron, but I have to admit that even I feel pretty bad for fans of the Broadstreet Bullies. Travis at Broadstreet Hockey shared that news and his commentary on the sad situation is spot-on.
We’ll link you his numbers here, but just know that he wasn’t all that great over there. Swiss hockey isn’t exactly the Swedish Elite league, either. He’s just not a good goalie, hence one of the reasons the Penguins went ahead and drafted Marc-Andre Fleury.
Earlier this week, Paul Holmgren said he was after any and all options in the Flyers crease. It’s safe to say now that was an accurate statement. It shows clear desperation in the Flyers front office. Beyond that, really. It’s just… a complete nightmare. Words don’t describe.
Brian Boucher hasn’t gotten the job done for whatever reason, and with Johan Backlund out and the only other option being an ECHL-caliber guy, Caron is going to have to be the answer. Will he be Boucher’s backup? That’s up to Laviolette, I’m sure. Either way, he’s likely an upgrade from Jeremy Duchesne. Notice how I said likely and not definitely, by the way.
Ouch. It’s been a rough year for the Flyers in net, even for a team so constantly tormented by problems in net that I made the analogy of “the Flyers are to goalies what the Chicago Bears are to quarterbacks.”
On one hand, you cannot blame Holmgren and Co. for not being able to see another devastating goalie injury after Ray Emery’s problems. That being said, if I were running the team, I’d have to always assume Murphy’s law with goalies. The team simply keeps getting burnt by counting on career backups, cheap unproven starters and reclamation projects.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, so I guess the plus for the Flyers is that they won’t be paying the journeyman Caron much money at all.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)