Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, there isn’t a bigger dual shot of comedy than the Philadelphia Flyers signing Sebastien Caron, but I have to admit that even I feel pretty bad for fans of the Broadstreet Bullies. Travis at Broadstreet Hockey shared that news and his commentary on the sad situation is spot-on.
We’ll link you his numbers here, but just know that he wasn’t all that great over there. Swiss hockey isn’t exactly the Swedish Elite league, either. He’s just not a good goalie, hence one of the reasons the Penguins went ahead and drafted Marc-Andre Fleury.
Earlier this week, Paul Holmgren said he was after any and all options in the Flyers crease. It’s safe to say now that was an accurate statement. It shows clear desperation in the Flyers front office. Beyond that, really. It’s just… a complete nightmare. Words don’t describe.
Brian Boucher hasn’t gotten the job done for whatever reason, and with Johan Backlund out and the only other option being an ECHL-caliber guy, Caron is going to have to be the answer. Will he be Boucher’s backup? That’s up to Laviolette, I’m sure. Either way, he’s likely an upgrade from Jeremy Duchesne. Notice how I said likely and not definitely, by the way.
Ouch. It’s been a rough year for the Flyers in net, even for a team so constantly tormented by problems in net that I made the analogy of “the Flyers are to goalies what the Chicago Bears are to quarterbacks.”
On one hand, you cannot blame Holmgren and Co. for not being able to see another devastating goalie injury after Ray Emery’s problems. That being said, if I were running the team, I’d have to always assume Murphy’s law with goalies. The team simply keeps getting burnt by counting on career backups, cheap unproven starters and reclamation projects.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, so I guess the plus for the Flyers is that they won’t be paying the journeyman Caron much money at all.
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 0
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 50
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)