Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
As a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, there isn’t a bigger dual shot of comedy than the Philadelphia Flyers signing Sebastien Caron, but I have to admit that even I feel pretty bad for fans of the Broadstreet Bullies. Travis at Broadstreet Hockey shared that news and his commentary on the sad situation is spot-on.
We’ll link you his numbers here, but just know that he wasn’t all that great over there. Swiss hockey isn’t exactly the Swedish Elite league, either. He’s just not a good goalie, hence one of the reasons the Penguins went ahead and drafted Marc-Andre Fleury.
Earlier this week, Paul Holmgren said he was after any and all options in the Flyers crease. It’s safe to say now that was an accurate statement. It shows clear desperation in the Flyers front office. Beyond that, really. It’s just… a complete nightmare. Words don’t describe.
Brian Boucher hasn’t gotten the job done for whatever reason, and with Johan Backlund out and the only other option being an ECHL-caliber guy, Caron is going to have to be the answer. Will he be Boucher’s backup? That’s up to Laviolette, I’m sure. Either way, he’s likely an upgrade from Jeremy Duchesne. Notice how I said likely and not definitely, by the way.
Ouch. It’s been a rough year for the Flyers in net, even for a team so constantly tormented by problems in net that I made the analogy of “the Flyers are to goalies what the Chicago Bears are to quarterbacks.”
On one hand, you cannot blame Holmgren and Co. for not being able to see another devastating goalie injury after Ray Emery’s problems. That being said, if I were running the team, I’d have to always assume Murphy’s law with goalies. The team simply keeps getting burnt by counting on career backups, cheap unproven starters and reclamation projects.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, so I guess the plus for the Flyers is that they won’t be paying the journeyman Caron much money at all.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)