Apr 2, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers vs. Detroit Red Wings
p.m. EST – Sunday, April 4, 2010
Live on NBC
Detroit Red Wings – 41-23-14 (96 points) @
Philadelphia Flyers – 38-34-6 (82 points)
This week’s game of the week catches two teams headed in
opposite directions as they approach the playoffs. There was a point in which both teams were worried about missing the playoffs, but now the Red Wings are focused on improving their seeding while the Flyers are holding on for dear life.
Hot finish after a slow start
a month ago we covered the Red Wings taking on the Chicago Blackhawks,
and wondered whether this was a team preparing for one last push for a
Stanley Cup before they had to take a few years to ‘reload’. Since then,
Detroit has become one of the NHL’s hottest teams, winners of seven straight before Saturday’s OT loss to Nashville and eight of the their last ten games. In fact, they’ve taken a point from all 10 games, going 8-0-2.
At one point
it was a question as to whether Detroit would even make the playoffs;
silly us for doubting the NHL’s most stable franchise of the past two
Stumbling into the playoffs
The Philadelphia Flyers, on the other hand, are threatening
to fall completely out of the playoffs after going 2-6-2 in their last 10 games. They’ve lost Jeff Carter to injury and are on what seems
to be their 15th goaltender of the season. It’s the culmination of the
ultimate up-and-down season for the Flyers. Their inconsistency would
normally be that of a team fighting for a lottery spot in this year’s
draft, if it weren’t for the completely joke that is the bottom half of
the Eastern Conference this season.
See, the Flyers’
late season collapse would normally be enough to drop out of the
playoffs altogether. Yet no team in the East seems capable of stepping
up when it matters most. We now have a
quagmire of mediocrity among the conference’s bubble teams.
What about the goaltenders?
story of the game, incredibly, could be surrounding the goaltenders each
team decides to use. Mike Babcock decided to play
rookie sensation Jimmy Howard on Saturday so veteran Chris Osgood is expected to play on
Sunday against the Flyers. It would be Osgood’s first appearance since March 3rd and his first start since Jan. 27.
On the other side of the ice, no one has a clue who the
Flyers will have in net. I doubt the Flyers know, but hopefully they’ve
at least planned on it. Brian Boucher got the start on Friday night
against the Canadiens, but was rocked on Thursday against the Islanders.
Johan Backlund should return soon from his groin injury, but it’s
unknown if he’ll be available Sunday. It’s anyone’s guess if the Flyers might turn to
recently-signed Sebastien Caron or stick with the floundering Boucher.
Sunday on Pro Hockey Talk:
-The Red Wings continue to be successful, no matter who
might be in net.
-Do the Philadelphia Flyers have what it takes to hold on for the
-How different will the Flyers roster look next season?
-Who are the favorites for the Hart and Calder Trophies?
-Injury and goaltender updates for Detroit and Philadelphia
-Live chat during the game with Brandon, James and Joe!
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (81)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness