Apr 2, 2010, 6:42 AM EDT
I posted about Colby Armstrong’s forearm shiver to the jaw of
Washington’s Mathieu Perreault. I judged my opinion on seeing the hit
live and with one replay, and questioned whether the hit would fall
under the NHL’s new ‘blind side’ hits to the head rule.
seeing many replays of the hit since then, it’s obvious that is not the
case. Despite Perreault turning up ice, Armstrong certainly came at him
from a straight-ahead direction.
You can see video of the hit here.
That does not change the fact, however, that Armstrong’s hit was
dangerous and highly illegal. This is not a case of Perreault skating
with his head down and then getting rocked, but of Armstrong needlessly
leading with his hand and forearm for what should have been a big
Perreault attempted to dodge the hit at the very last instant,
which contributed to the hit looked pretty bad. That doesn’t change the
fact that Armstrong’s hit was illegal and he should face supplemental
discipline for the hit. He was not penalized specifically for the hit,
yet was penalized for his altercation with Shaone Morrisonn of the
Capitals, who instantly went after Armstrong in defense of his teammate.
for one I apologize for jumping the gun a bit on calling it a ‘blind
side hit’, which it is obviously not after seeing the replays. I stand
by the fact that this is a hit that should land Armstrong a suspension,
if the NHL is anywhere near as serious as they claim to be about
dangerous hits to the head.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 56
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming