Apr 2, 2010, 10:37 PM EST
I can only imagine how frustrated Flyers fans must be.
rocked last night by the New York Islanders, the Flyers were facing an
even greater chance of falling completely out of the playoff race. This
was a do-or-die game tonight against Montreal, one that has a great
chance of determining whether the Flyers are able to hang on for dear
life and stay in the playoffs. With Sunday’s game against Detroit
looming, the Flyers are facing some dire straits.
You have to give it them; they tried. It was a heck of an effort,
and one that Flyers fans should be extremely proud of. They showed
fight, emotion an a ton of heart in the face of late-season adversity.
Unfortunately, Jaroslav Halak was better.
The Canadiens goaltender
made 35 saves to will his team to a 1-0 shutout, and made several
acrobatic — and lucky — saves in the third period when the Flyers put
14 shots on net. It was a game that had a playoff feel to it, but the
Flyers just couldn’t get the bounce needed to secure at least one, very
Travis Hughes of Broad Street Hockey is pleased with the effort,
and says Flyers fans should be proud:
Be disappointed, and be angry that the Flyers have put themselves in
this current situation. But don’t get down on them. Not tonight, not
after they just laid it all on the line in an attempt to get two points.
We’re fans, so let’s try and act like it. Is being negative at this
time of year really going to make a difference anyway?
It’s not over, yet. The Flyers still have four games to hold off the
suddenly-hot New York Rangers. They’ll have to find some way to solve
the riddle that is the Detroit Red Wings (NBC Game of the Week!!).
unfortunate is that Boucher played great a night after getting
shellacked by the Islanders. It’s just been that sort of season for the
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)