Apr 2, 2010, 10:37 PM EDT
I can only imagine how frustrated Flyers fans must be.
rocked last night by the New York Islanders, the Flyers were facing an
even greater chance of falling completely out of the playoff race. This
was a do-or-die game tonight against Montreal, one that has a great
chance of determining whether the Flyers are able to hang on for dear
life and stay in the playoffs. With Sunday’s game against Detroit
looming, the Flyers are facing some dire straits.
You have to give it them; they tried. It was a heck of an effort,
and one that Flyers fans should be extremely proud of. They showed
fight, emotion an a ton of heart in the face of late-season adversity.
Unfortunately, Jaroslav Halak was better.
The Canadiens goaltender
made 35 saves to will his team to a 1-0 shutout, and made several
acrobatic — and lucky — saves in the third period when the Flyers put
14 shots on net. It was a game that had a playoff feel to it, but the
Flyers just couldn’t get the bounce needed to secure at least one, very
Travis Hughes of Broad Street Hockey is pleased with the effort,
and says Flyers fans should be proud:
Be disappointed, and be angry that the Flyers have put themselves in
this current situation. But don’t get down on them. Not tonight, not
after they just laid it all on the line in an attempt to get two points.
We’re fans, so let’s try and act like it. Is being negative at this
time of year really going to make a difference anyway?
It’s not over, yet. The Flyers still have four games to hold off the
suddenly-hot New York Rangers. They’ll have to find some way to solve
the riddle that is the Detroit Red Wings (NBC Game of the Week!!).
unfortunate is that Boucher played great a night after getting
shellacked by the Islanders. It’s just been that sort of season for the
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)