Apr 2, 2010, 10:37 PM EDT
I can only imagine how frustrated Flyers fans must be.
rocked last night by the New York Islanders, the Flyers were facing an
even greater chance of falling completely out of the playoff race. This
was a do-or-die game tonight against Montreal, one that has a great
chance of determining whether the Flyers are able to hang on for dear
life and stay in the playoffs. With Sunday’s game against Detroit
looming, the Flyers are facing some dire straits.
You have to give it them; they tried. It was a heck of an effort,
and one that Flyers fans should be extremely proud of. They showed
fight, emotion an a ton of heart in the face of late-season adversity.
Unfortunately, Jaroslav Halak was better.
The Canadiens goaltender
made 35 saves to will his team to a 1-0 shutout, and made several
acrobatic — and lucky — saves in the third period when the Flyers put
14 shots on net. It was a game that had a playoff feel to it, but the
Flyers just couldn’t get the bounce needed to secure at least one, very
Travis Hughes of Broad Street Hockey is pleased with the effort,
and says Flyers fans should be proud:
Be disappointed, and be angry that the Flyers have put themselves in
this current situation. But don’t get down on them. Not tonight, not
after they just laid it all on the line in an attempt to get two points.
We’re fans, so let’s try and act like it. Is being negative at this
time of year really going to make a difference anyway?
It’s not over, yet. The Flyers still have four games to hold off the
suddenly-hot New York Rangers. They’ll have to find some way to solve
the riddle that is the Detroit Red Wings (NBC Game of the Week!!).
unfortunate is that Boucher played great a night after getting
shellacked by the Islanders. It’s just been that sort of season for the
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)