Apr 2, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
The NHL handed Colby Armstrong a two game suspension for last night’s ugly hit on Mathieu Perrault of the Washington Capitals, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Brandon had a great write-up of the hit earlier this morning, so I’ll defer to his take.
Despite Perreault turning up ice, Armstrong certainly came at him from a straight-ahead direction. You can see video of the hit here.
That does not change the fact, however, that Armstrong’s hit was dangerous and highly illegal. This is not a case of Perreault skating with his head down and then getting rocked, but of Armstrong needlessly leading with his hand and forearm for what should have been a big open-ice hit.
Perreault attempted to dodge the hit at the very last instant, which contributed to the hit looking pretty bad. That doesn’t change the fact that Armstrong’s hit was illegal and he should face supplemental discipline for the hit.
Look, I don’t consider myself a go-to source regarding judgment on these hits. All I can say is that it – along with the hits by Matt Cooke and Mike Richards – seemed unnecessary. It’s an irresponsible hit regardless of whether or not it is worthy of a suspension.
If the league has to be ruthless with punishments to get players to stop being foolish, then so be it.
Update: Here’s the video of the hit from NHL.com.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)