Apr 1, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Once again, there’s a playoff impact (either big or small) for every one of tonight’s games. There are four that stand out as being more interesting, though, so we’ll focus on those.
Vancouver Canucks (46-26-4, 96 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (43-27-6, 92 pts) 10:30 PM ET
I have to admit, I’m starting to wonder if Vancouver is the team that is best equipped for a deep playoff run in the West since they have a little bit of everything. The Kings, on the other hand, are a solid but not-quite-there-yet club that still needs to ensure its place in the playoffs.
Atlanta Thrashers (34-31-12, 80 pts) at Washington Capitals (49-15-12, 110 pts) 7 PM ET
The Capitals can be excused for being vaguely disinterested in this one since they already wrapped up the top spot in the East. The Thrashers have to feel good about their chances since they’re only two points behind the bottom three playoff teams in the East. Of course, we’re all aware of their murderous final five games, though.
St. Louis Blues (37-30-9, 83 pts) at Nashville Predators (44-28-6, 94 pts) 8 PM ET
The Blues are heating up right now, winning three in a row, but they would need to win their next six games and get a lot of breaks to get into the playoffs. I’m hoping that I didn’t put the whammy on the Predators, who were scratching and clawing to an 8-1-1 record before I praised them as a dark horse candidate. Then again, 8-2-1 isn’t too bad either, right?
Carolina Hurricanes (33-35-9, 75 pts) at Ottawa Senators (42-30-5, 89 pts) 7:30 PM ET
The Senators are on the verge of clinching a spot in the playoffs while the Hurricanes are hoping for a miraculous last second run into the post-season. Both teams are playing pretty well right now, with Ottawa especially hot on a five game winning streak.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2