Apr 1, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Once again, there’s a playoff impact (either big or small) for every one of tonight’s games. There are four that stand out as being more interesting, though, so we’ll focus on those.
Vancouver Canucks (46-26-4, 96 pts) at Los Angeles Kings (43-27-6, 92 pts) 10:30 PM ET
I have to admit, I’m starting to wonder if Vancouver is the team that is best equipped for a deep playoff run in the West since they have a little bit of everything. The Kings, on the other hand, are a solid but not-quite-there-yet club that still needs to ensure its place in the playoffs.
Atlanta Thrashers (34-31-12, 80 pts) at Washington Capitals (49-15-12, 110 pts) 7 PM ET
The Capitals can be excused for being vaguely disinterested in this one since they already wrapped up the top spot in the East. The Thrashers have to feel good about their chances since they’re only two points behind the bottom three playoff teams in the East. Of course, we’re all aware of their murderous final five games, though.
St. Louis Blues (37-30-9, 83 pts) at Nashville Predators (44-28-6, 94 pts) 8 PM ET
The Blues are heating up right now, winning three in a row, but they would need to win their next six games and get a lot of breaks to get into the playoffs. I’m hoping that I didn’t put the whammy on the Predators, who were scratching and clawing to an 8-1-1 record before I praised them as a dark horse candidate. Then again, 8-2-1 isn’t too bad either, right?
Carolina Hurricanes (33-35-9, 75 pts) at Ottawa Senators (42-30-5, 89 pts) 7:30 PM ET
The Senators are on the verge of clinching a spot in the playoffs while the Hurricanes are hoping for a miraculous last second run into the post-season. Both teams are playing pretty well right now, with Ottawa especially hot on a five game winning streak.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)