Apr 1, 2010, 8:28 PM EST
Since the NHL adopted a new ‘rule’ that allows the league to assign punishment for blindside hits to the head, which previously were legal, we’ve yet to see a play that tested the change.
Atlanta’s Colby Armstrong rocked Washington’s Matthieu Perreault, with a hit that should break about three rules on his way to what in theory will be an NHL suspension.
As Perreault skated with the puck up the ice and out of Washington’s defensive zone, Armstrong caught Perreault with an elbow to the jaw. Not only that, but he appeared to leave his feet while doing so.
So, it’s a blind side elbow to the head while leaving his feet. Could be the perfect trifecta for Armstrong.
[Update] There is some debate as to whether the hit was blind sided or not. Armstrong did come at Perreault from the front, but it was as he was turning up ice. I’m still waiting on the replay to show up online.
Armstrong was awarded a two-minute minor for interference (or roughing, as was announced in the arena. NHL.com lists it as holding, which it wasn’t), since I guess the refs missed the elbow. Should be interesting to see how the NHL responds.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)