Apr 1, 2010, 8:28 PM EST
Since the NHL adopted a new ‘rule’ that allows the league to assign punishment for blindside hits to the head, which previously were legal, we’ve yet to see a play that tested the change.
Atlanta’s Colby Armstrong rocked Washington’s Matthieu Perreault, with a hit that should break about three rules on his way to what in theory will be an NHL suspension.
As Perreault skated with the puck up the ice and out of Washington’s defensive zone, Armstrong caught Perreault with an elbow to the jaw. Not only that, but he appeared to leave his feet while doing so.
So, it’s a blind side elbow to the head while leaving his feet. Could be the perfect trifecta for Armstrong.
[Update] There is some debate as to whether the hit was blind sided or not. Armstrong did come at Perreault from the front, but it was as he was turning up ice. I’m still waiting on the replay to show up online.
Armstrong was awarded a two-minute minor for interference (or roughing, as was announced in the arena. NHL.com lists it as holding, which it wasn’t), since I guess the refs missed the elbow. Should be interesting to see how the NHL responds.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)