Apr 1, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Unfortunately for the Chicago Blackhawks, debating which goalie they should hand the reins to isn’t the solid versus great discussion that Boston finds itself in. Instead, it might be closer to picking your poison.
Still, it’s quite clear that Cristobal Huet’s confidence has been shattered by a rough season. Antti Niemi – while by no means being a rock for the Hawks – is at least able to given Chicago good starts. His problem is either consistency or simply being an average goalie.
Perhaps it doesn’t take a goalie coach, rocket scientist or some other expert to point out that the Blackhawks need to suck it up and accept that they’re going to have to live with what Niemi can give them. Huet, frankly, is done. Here’s a look at the goalies’ seasons, with a focus on their full season stats along with their performance during the last 10 games. Click on the image to enlarge it.
My general rule is that a goalie under 90% save percentage officially hits the “hurting his team” mark while 91% can be considered solid if unspectacular. As you can see, Huet is under the 90 percent mark for the season and has been rattled with 14 goals in his last three starts. For Niemi, it seems to be feast or famine, with three shutouts in his last 10 starts but also his fair share of struggles.
People forget that it’s natural for powerful offensive teams to sometimes give up more opportunities due to their aggressiveness, so the Blackhawks do not necessarily need the next coming of Patrick Roy to compete for the Cup. Instead, they need to hope that their goalie is closer to a Grant Fuhr or a Tom Barrasso.
My guess is that Niemi has the best chance to do that.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 63
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 30
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination