Apr 1, 2010, 12:25 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche have been the surprise of the NHL for most of this season. With a young roster, a first-year head coach and a goaltender getting his first crack at being a full-time starter there weren’t a lot of reasons to be hopeful for the Avs this season.
Of course this is why they play the games and the Avalanche have taken full advantage of coach Joe Sacco’s tutelage and connection with the young players and run wild for the better part of this season, even leading the Northwest Division for a spell.
Now with the season winding down, the Avs are possibly wearing out and find themselves in eighth place in the Western Conference just two points ahead of the Calgary Flames and headed for a showdown in Denver on Friday night. The month of March has not been kind to the Avs as they’ve lost six of their last seven and gave up a point to the Kings (who are currently seventh) in their one win during that stretch.
Via twitter, Avalanche beat writer Adrian Dater reported the team went in for a closed-door meeting following their 5-2 loss to Anaheim. For a team in that kind of slide and finding themselves in the position they are now, it’s probably for the best.
The upside for Colorado is that Calgary will come into their game on Friday playing roller coaster hockey themselves. The Flames have won two straight (against Washington and Phoenix), but lost two straight before that (against the Islanders and Bruins). If you can make heads or tails of that, I’ll give you $50 in Monopoly money. I don’t want to blow Friday’s game out of proportion with hyperbole, but as WWE’s Jim Ross would say. it should be a real slobber-knocker.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35