Mar 31, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Every game has some impact tonight, but Phoenix vs. Calgary is far and away the biggest. We’ll take a closer look at that one and then glance at the remaining six games of the night.
Phoenix Coyotes (47-24-6, 100 pts) at Calgary Flames (38-29-9, 85 pts) 9:30 PM ET
You cannot get much more desperate than Jarome Iginla and the Calgary Flames. Earlier today, I called for the heads of the Sutter brothers. The expensive team has been a big disappointment. They might need to win out to make the playoffs, as Iginla said. Meanwhile, in Phoenix, they still have a chance to take the Pacific division.
Florida Panthers (30-33-12, 72 pts) at Buffalo Sabres (42-23-10, 94 pts) 7 PM ET
Florida might as well tank the rest of the season, while Buffalo can improve to the second seed with a break or two.
Carolina Hurricanes (32-35-9, 73 pts) at Montreal Canadiens (37-31-8, 82 pts) 7 PM ET
People are worried that the Canadiens might fall out of the playoffs, but I think they have just enough juice to get in (only to get knocked out with relative ease in the first round).
Tampa Bay Lightning (30-34-12, 72 pts) at Pittsburgh Penguins (44-25-7, 95 pts) 7:30 PM ET
These are the kind of games that the Penguins have to win if they want the Atlantic division title. The Devils have just about every tie-breaker, so Pittsburgh needs to finish the year hot.
Chicago Blackhawks (46-22-7, 99 pts) at Minnesota Wild (37-33-6, 80 pts) 8 PM ET
Chicken Little has entered the building in Chicago. Can the stumbling juggernaut get its act together?
San Jose Sharks (47-19-10, 104 pts) at Dallas Stars (33-29-14, 80 pts) 8:30 PM ET
If any non-playoff team could give the Sharks a headache, it’s their former tormentors in Dallas.
Anaheim Ducks (36-31-8, 80 pts) at Colorado Avalanche (41-27-7, 89 pts) 9 PM ET
Things are looking more than shaky in Colorado as it seems like the odds (and Craig Anderson huge workload) are beginning to weigh them down. It would be a shameful end to a surprising season if they allowed the Flames to usurp them for a playoff spot.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)