Mar 31, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Today marks Gordie Howe’s 82nd birthday and his importance to the NHL is often forgotten about today in an era dominated by Crosby and Ovechkin. Without Gordie, though, there might not have been a place for either Crosby or Ovechkin. Heck, without Gordie there might not have even been a Wayne Gretzky.
Howe’s history speaks for itself. He was a 21-time all-star, a six-time Art Ross Trophy winner and a six-time Hart Trophy winner as the NHL’s most valuable player. There’s a good reason why Gordie Howe was referred to as “Mr. Hockey” and he’s been an ambassador for the game even after his first retirement from the game in 1971. Howe then went on to play in the WHA with the Houston Aeros and New England Whalers and then one more NHL season with the Hartford Whalers in 1979-1980.
For all the records Gordie Howe set in the NHL, he’s probably best known now for lending his name to the mythical “Gordie Howe hat trick” which accounts for a goal, an assist and a fight in a game. Gordie Howe’s mark on the game and on others is remarkable considering the NHL wasn’t even close to being mainstream back in his hey day. Can you name another hockey legend that can attach their name to such a feat and say they were reference in a classic 1980s movie and an iconic animated television series? Besides Wayne Gretzky that is, thanks to this and this.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)