Mar 31, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Today marks Gordie Howe’s 82nd birthday and his importance to the NHL is often forgotten about today in an era dominated by Crosby and Ovechkin. Without Gordie, though, there might not have been a place for either Crosby or Ovechkin. Heck, without Gordie there might not have even been a Wayne Gretzky.
Howe’s history speaks for itself. He was a 21-time all-star, a six-time Art Ross Trophy winner and a six-time Hart Trophy winner as the NHL’s most valuable player. There’s a good reason why Gordie Howe was referred to as “Mr. Hockey” and he’s been an ambassador for the game even after his first retirement from the game in 1971. Howe then went on to play in the WHA with the Houston Aeros and New England Whalers and then one more NHL season with the Hartford Whalers in 1979-1980.
For all the records Gordie Howe set in the NHL, he’s probably best known now for lending his name to the mythical “Gordie Howe hat trick” which accounts for a goal, an assist and a fight in a game. Gordie Howe’s mark on the game and on others is remarkable considering the NHL wasn’t even close to being mainstream back in his hey day. Can you name another hockey legend that can attach their name to such a feat and say they were reference in a classic 1980s movie and an iconic animated television series? Besides Wayne Gretzky that is, thanks to this and this.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)