Mar 31, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Today marks Gordie Howe’s 82nd birthday and his importance to the NHL is often forgotten about today in an era dominated by Crosby and Ovechkin. Without Gordie, though, there might not have been a place for either Crosby or Ovechkin. Heck, without Gordie there might not have even been a Wayne Gretzky.
Howe’s history speaks for itself. He was a 21-time all-star, a six-time Art Ross Trophy winner and a six-time Hart Trophy winner as the NHL’s most valuable player. There’s a good reason why Gordie Howe was referred to as “Mr. Hockey” and he’s been an ambassador for the game even after his first retirement from the game in 1971. Howe then went on to play in the WHA with the Houston Aeros and New England Whalers and then one more NHL season with the Hartford Whalers in 1979-1980.
For all the records Gordie Howe set in the NHL, he’s probably best known now for lending his name to the mythical “Gordie Howe hat trick” which accounts for a goal, an assist and a fight in a game. Gordie Howe’s mark on the game and on others is remarkable considering the NHL wasn’t even close to being mainstream back in his hey day. Can you name another hockey legend that can attach their name to such a feat and say they were reference in a classic 1980s movie and an iconic animated television series? Besides Wayne Gretzky that is, thanks to this and this.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)