Mar 31, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
It’s been a prospect-packed day at PHT with talk of the Scouting Combine, amusing Scouting Combine photos and the announcement of USA Hockey’s Under-18 National Team. So why not discuss the “hat trick” of Hobey Baker Award finalists?
The three players nominated for the college player of the year award (named after hockey legend Baker, whose life ended tragically in a plane crash that may or may not have been an accident) are listed in this story from USCHO.com.
New Hampshire’s Bobby Butler, Wisconsin’s Blake Geoffrion and Maine’s Gustav Nyquist – all forwards – were announced as the Hobey Hat Trick finalists on Wednesday.
The award will be handed out on Friday, April 9, the day after the Frozen Four resumes. Here’s a quick rundown of the three finalists. Brandon and Joe are welcome to expand on these players later, since they know a lot more about college and/or junior hockey than I do.
Bobby Butler – The senior from New Hampshire was second in the nation with 53 points. The Ottawa Senators recently signed him to a free agent contract. He had 29 goals this year and received the award for the top American player (Walter Brown award) and was named Hockey East’s top player as well.
Gustav Nyquist - The Maine man has an awesome name. Gustav is cool enough, but Nyquist really seals the deal. Announcers can say that he gave a victimized goalie “Nyquil” after he scores. Fans can delight in creating “Nyquil + Sunkist = Nyquist” signs*. At least these things happen in my dream world in which Brandon Archibald will accept the nickname “Tiny.”
Back to reality, Nyquist is a sophomore and a Detroit Red Wings draft pick. He lead the nation with 61 points, including six games with three points or more.
Blake Geoffrion – You can roll your eyes all you want, I will still call him “Boom Boom.” He lead the Wisconsin Badgers in goals scored and is in the Nashville Predators’ system. I would assume he also ate plenty of cheese at the University of Wisconsin. For him to avoid doing so would be a sin against humanity and dairy products.
* – Though I’ve never tried it, I would not recommend trying a Nyquil + Sunkist concoction.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 86
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 180
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (97)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (92)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)