Mar 31, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks better get things figured out in a hurry. They’ve won just twice in the last nine games, and stumbling your way into what is supposed to be a Stanley Cup run is not exactly what was expected of this team just a few months back.
Of course, now we’re at the point where Joel Quenneville is focusing on the ‘efforts’ of the players in bad losses, which is never a good sign for what’s supposed to be a dominant team.
“The approach was good,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “The attitude on
the bench and in the locker room (was) everybody worked hard. To play
like that is a sign that there’s some positive things coming.
don’t think we should be happy, (but) looking at it in the right frame
of mind is important and trying to be positive. If there’s anything
positive, it’s the pace of our game was quicker and better and more
effective. That was the positive we can take out of here knowing that
(Wednesday night against the Wild) is a big game as well. So let’s get
The Hawks are doing a lot of talking right now about doing the right thing, working hard…but it’s just not showing up on the ice.
Quenneville’s words echo as a coach who is a bit blind to what is happening with his team. They Blackhawks were far from good against the Blues; perhaps what this team needs is a swift dose of a reality check.
They aren’t guaranteed success in the playoffs, and with the cap issues Chicago will have next season this might be the best chance they have a Stanley Cup. You can talk about effort all you want, but that doesn’t get anything done on the ice.
Just ask Marc Crawford and the Dallas Stars.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 18
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 6
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)