Mar 31, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks better get things figured out in a hurry. They’ve won just twice in the last nine games, and stumbling your way into what is supposed to be a Stanley Cup run is not exactly what was expected of this team just a few months back.
Of course, now we’re at the point where Joel Quenneville is focusing on the ‘efforts’ of the players in bad losses, which is never a good sign for what’s supposed to be a dominant team.
“The approach was good,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “The attitude on
the bench and in the locker room (was) everybody worked hard. To play
like that is a sign that there’s some positive things coming.
don’t think we should be happy, (but) looking at it in the right frame
of mind is important and trying to be positive. If there’s anything
positive, it’s the pace of our game was quicker and better and more
effective. That was the positive we can take out of here knowing that
(Wednesday night against the Wild) is a big game as well. So let’s get
The Hawks are doing a lot of talking right now about doing the right thing, working hard…but it’s just not showing up on the ice.
Quenneville’s words echo as a coach who is a bit blind to what is happening with his team. They Blackhawks were far from good against the Blues; perhaps what this team needs is a swift dose of a reality check.
They aren’t guaranteed success in the playoffs, and with the cap issues Chicago will have next season this might be the best chance they have a Stanley Cup. You can talk about effort all you want, but that doesn’t get anything done on the ice.
Just ask Marc Crawford and the Dallas Stars.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (80)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness