Mar 31, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks better get things figured out in a hurry. They’ve won just twice in the last nine games, and stumbling your way into what is supposed to be a Stanley Cup run is not exactly what was expected of this team just a few months back.
Of course, now we’re at the point where Joel Quenneville is focusing on the ‘efforts’ of the players in bad losses, which is never a good sign for what’s supposed to be a dominant team.
“The approach was good,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “The attitude on
the bench and in the locker room (was) everybody worked hard. To play
like that is a sign that there’s some positive things coming.
don’t think we should be happy, (but) looking at it in the right frame
of mind is important and trying to be positive. If there’s anything
positive, it’s the pace of our game was quicker and better and more
effective. That was the positive we can take out of here knowing that
(Wednesday night against the Wild) is a big game as well. So let’s get
The Hawks are doing a lot of talking right now about doing the right thing, working hard…but it’s just not showing up on the ice.
Quenneville’s words echo as a coach who is a bit blind to what is happening with his team. They Blackhawks were far from good against the Blues; perhaps what this team needs is a swift dose of a reality check.
They aren’t guaranteed success in the playoffs, and with the cap issues Chicago will have next season this might be the best chance they have a Stanley Cup. You can talk about effort all you want, but that doesn’t get anything done on the ice.
Just ask Marc Crawford and the Dallas Stars.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)