Mar 30, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
Bertuzzday part IV may be a barometer for the fledgling award. The NHL is providing a steady stream of boneheaded moments, but it’s up to you – the readers – to let us know if you enjoy voting for this silly award of shame. So voice your opinion by voting and telling your friends (and enemies?) to cast their votes as well.
First, the last three winners.
Now, let’s take a look at the contestants.
Daniel Carcillo: Let’s face it, “CarcilLOL” is kind of a knucklehead. Here is video of the high-sticking act that netted him a two game suspension.
Jim Playfair: The former Flames coach absolutely lost his mind (and some money) in an act that had many wondering if he was going to turn green and appear in a pseudo intellectual Ang Lee movie. (That’s a lengthy way of saying he resembled The Incredible Hulk.)
Even I seem more mature when I throw a controller in an NHL ’10-related hissy fit. (Wait, I don’t? Oh.)
Patrick Eaves: Kudos to Eaves for self-deprecation but humility will only slightly help your cause when avoiding a Bertuzzday award. His shootout flub was pretty funny.
Los Angeles Kings: There are some serious worries that the Kings might slip out of the playoffs now that they’re on a four game losing streak (at least as of this writing). Considering the fact that they announced that they’d be wearing their facsimile Gretzky knock-offs in the playoffs before clinching a spot, this could be one of the most amusing self-jinx moments since Mark Cuban planned a Dallas Mavericks championship parade route only to see the team lose four in a row to the Miami Heat.
Mike Ribeiro-Patrik Berglund-Shane O’Brien three-head embarrassment monster: While Ribeiro was suspended for mysterious “disciplinary reasons,” Berglund and O’Brien missed practice because they overslept. You’d think these guys would be able to afford two alarm clocks, eh?
Other: As usual, write-in candidates are welcome.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (52)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)