Mar 30, 2010, 9:15 PM EST
Bertuzzday part IV may be a barometer for the fledgling award. The NHL is providing a steady stream of boneheaded moments, but it’s up to you – the readers – to let us know if you enjoy voting for this silly award of shame. So voice your opinion by voting and telling your friends (and enemies?) to cast their votes as well.
First, the last three winners.
Now, let’s take a look at the contestants.
Daniel Carcillo: Let’s face it, “CarcilLOL” is kind of a knucklehead. Here is video of the high-sticking act that netted him a two game suspension.
Jim Playfair: The former Flames coach absolutely lost his mind (and some money) in an act that had many wondering if he was going to turn green and appear in a pseudo intellectual Ang Lee movie. (That’s a lengthy way of saying he resembled The Incredible Hulk.)
Even I seem more mature when I throw a controller in an NHL ’10-related hissy fit. (Wait, I don’t? Oh.)
Patrick Eaves: Kudos to Eaves for self-deprecation but humility will only slightly help your cause when avoiding a Bertuzzday award. His shootout flub was pretty funny.
Los Angeles Kings: There are some serious worries that the Kings might slip out of the playoffs now that they’re on a four game losing streak (at least as of this writing). Considering the fact that they announced that they’d be wearing their facsimile Gretzky knock-offs in the playoffs before clinching a spot, this could be one of the most amusing self-jinx moments since Mark Cuban planned a Dallas Mavericks championship parade route only to see the team lose four in a row to the Miami Heat.
Mike Ribeiro-Patrik Berglund-Shane O’Brien three-head embarrassment monster: While Ribeiro was suspended for mysterious “disciplinary reasons,” Berglund and O’Brien missed practice because they overslept. You’d think these guys would be able to afford two alarm clocks, eh?
Other: As usual, write-in candidates are welcome.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)