Mar 30, 2010, 11:56 PM EDT
Ryan Kesler was tossed from tonight’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes for a hit on Derek Morris. At least from what I’ve seen, I mostly agree with Crash the Crease’s assessment of the hit (video included in that link). I’m not sure if Morris clearly saw it coming, but it was still a very tough call. Here’s Crash the Crease’s take on the situation.
I think the refs were in a tough situation, the play happened fast and based on all the talk surrounding the league and headshots/hits from behind even if they did not see it clearly they wanted to make sure if it was a dirty play Kesler paid for it and it didn’t make them look bad.
Morris clearly sees him coming, and in slo motion you can see Kesler hits him from the side but Morris turns and ends up going face first into the boards.
How do you feel about the hit? Do you think Kesler deserved a five minute penalty and a game misconduct for it?
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)