Mar 30, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Everyone and their creepy uncle is now aware that the Detroit Red Wings are, well, red hot. After all, the team that went to back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals series rarely finds itself completely off the radar, right?
The Predators and their criminally underrated goalie Pekka Rinne are absolutely on fire right now. Just like Detroit, Nashville is 8-1-1 in their last 10 games.
There are three big things that stand out for the Predators. First, the performance of Rinne. Check out his stats from his last nine games. (Click the button to enlarge the stats at your leisure)
Four shutouts in nine games. No more than 3 goals allowed in any of those contests. Aside from that 3-1 loss against Dallas, he’s had a good-to-amazing performance in every game.
One other fact popped out about Nashville’s impressive streak: they’re not getting any help from their powerplay. It’s all hard work (also known as 5-on-5 play). They failed to score a PP goal in their last six games, going a horrendous 0-for-16. In the entire 10 game stretch, they’ve only scored twice on the man advantage. Yet they managed an amazing 8-1-1 record without getting those easy skill goals.
Of course, their penalty kill is carrying its own weight though. They haven’t allowed a PP goal in four games and only allowed three in the last 10 games. Clearly this team is scraping by with its all-D, no-O approach.
Certainly, a deep playoff run is always easier with an explosive offense. Still, considering the fact that the playoffs account for a time when passing lanes clog faster than Fat Albert’s cartoon arteries and selfless acts like shot blocking become crucial, the Predators might be the dark horse team of the playoffs.
And sooner or later, pundits will have to give Rinne his due.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)