Mar 30, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
How about this. We just skip the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs altogether, and let the top four teams in the conference just move on without worry or fear of anyone getting hurt in a four-game sweep.
Because right now, I’m convinced that no one wants to make be in the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. No team wants to actually step up and play when it matters.
That may not exactly be fair for the Montreal Canadiens (who are 6-2-2 in their last ten games), but for Philadelphia, Boston and Atlanta — I’m just waiting for one of these teams to win a big game.
Let’s just move on to the games that mattered. That no one won.
The games that mattered:
Atlanta Thrashers 1, Carolina Hurricanes 4 - The Hurricanes are turning into serious spoilers going down the stretch. They’re playing some fairly decent hockey right now, and it was great to see Cam Ward back in net. As far as the Thrashers go; every time I’m prepared to write about them earning a playoff spot, they go and drop one at home. It could have been nice, though, since…
Boston Bruins 2, Buffalo Sabres 3 – The Bruins started off the game well enough, but two quick goals within 1:38 of each other put the home crowd right back in their seats and seemed to unsettle the Bruins a bit. Of course, going up against Ryan Miller is always a tough task. But hey, Atlanta lost so I guess it’s all good.
The games that mattered:
Minnesota Wild 3, Los Angeles 2 – The Calgary Flames are breathing down the necks of the Kings and the Avalanche (of course, they’d need to win as well). The Kings are going through a near-disastrous late season collapse. It’s going to be a shame if they miss the playoffs, after such a great and unexpected season.
Florida Panthers 2, Nashville Predators 3 – The Predators just keep winning. In fact, they’re threatening the Red Wings as the hottest team in the NHL.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)