Mar 30, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
How about this. We just skip the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs altogether, and let the top four teams in the conference just move on without worry or fear of anyone getting hurt in a four-game sweep.
Because right now, I’m convinced that no one wants to make be in the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. No team wants to actually step up and play when it matters.
That may not exactly be fair for the Montreal Canadiens (who are 6-2-2 in their last ten games), but for Philadelphia, Boston and Atlanta — I’m just waiting for one of these teams to win a big game.
Let’s just move on to the games that mattered. That no one won.
The games that mattered:
Atlanta Thrashers 1, Carolina Hurricanes 4 – The Hurricanes are turning into serious spoilers going down the stretch. They’re playing some fairly decent hockey right now, and it was great to see Cam Ward back in net. As far as the Thrashers go; every time I’m prepared to write about them earning a playoff spot, they go and drop one at home. It could have been nice, though, since…
Boston Bruins 2, Buffalo Sabres 3 – The Bruins started off the game well enough, but two quick goals within 1:38 of each other put the home crowd right back in their seats and seemed to unsettle the Bruins a bit. Of course, going up against Ryan Miller is always a tough task. But hey, Atlanta lost so I guess it’s all good.
The games that mattered:
Minnesota Wild 3, Los Angeles 2 – The Calgary Flames are breathing down the necks of the Kings and the Avalanche (of course, they’d need to win as well). The Kings are going through a near-disastrous late season collapse. It’s going to be a shame if they miss the playoffs, after such a great and unexpected season.
Florida Panthers 2, Nashville Predators 3 – The Predators just keep winning. In fact, they’re threatening the Red Wings as the hottest team in the NHL.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)