Mar 30, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
Per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, Kris Letang’s contract extension
is four years, at $3.5 million per year.
That’s about what you
would expect for a defenseman like Letang, who is still very young and
has the potential to develop into a very dangerous offensive weapon from
the blue line. As it is, he’s already a shutdown defenseman who
routinely takes on the opponent’s toughest lines.
interesting about the contract is that it most likely means that the
Penguins will part ways with Sergei Gonchar this summer. Gonchar will be
36 next season, and unless he’s willing to take a serious pay cut —
say to $2.5 million a season — then it’s entirely possible the Penguins
go with younger and cheaper defensemen.
With Letang under
contract, the Penguins can re-sign Jordan Leopold to a decent contract,
and use some of their younger prospect defensemen, such as Deryk
Engelland and Ben Lovejoy, to round out the defensive pairs. Don’t
forget about Simon Despres either.
It’s going to be tight for a team that will be right against the
cap next season, especially considering they’ll need to sign four
forwards as well.
Was locking down Evgeni Malkin and Sidney
Crosby long-term really worth all this hustle and bustle to stay under
Yeah, it was.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)