Mar 30, 2010, 10:59 AM EST
Per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, Kris Letang’s contract extension
is four years, at $3.5 million per year.
That’s about what you
would expect for a defenseman like Letang, who is still very young and
has the potential to develop into a very dangerous offensive weapon from
the blue line. As it is, he’s already a shutdown defenseman who
routinely takes on the opponent’s toughest lines.
interesting about the contract is that it most likely means that the
Penguins will part ways with Sergei Gonchar this summer. Gonchar will be
36 next season, and unless he’s willing to take a serious pay cut –
say to $2.5 million a season — then it’s entirely possible the Penguins
go with younger and cheaper defensemen.
With Letang under
contract, the Penguins can re-sign Jordan Leopold to a decent contract,
and use some of their younger prospect defensemen, such as Deryk
Engelland and Ben Lovejoy, to round out the defensive pairs. Don’t
forget about Simon Despres either.
It’s going to be tight for a team that will be right against the
cap next season, especially considering they’ll need to sign four
forwards as well.
Was locking down Evgeni Malkin and Sidney
Crosby long-term really worth all this hustle and bustle to stay under
Yeah, it was.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)