Mar 30, 2010, 1:25 PM EST
Let’s forget all of the nasty rumors about the Phoenix Coyotes
possibly being on their way to Winnipeg*. The Coyotes are just four
points behind the San Jose Sharks and the top seed in the West,
something that is incredibly impressive considering the state of the
franchise just months ago.
*I don’t want to step on Jets fans,
either. It’s an ugly situation all around.
has to be most proud about the turnaround is Shane Doan, who has been
with the franchise since 1995 — when they were the Winnipeg Jets. From
Justin Piercy of CBC Sports:
“It’s special for us
as a team,” said captain Shane Doan, who started
his career with the team before it was relocated from Winnipeg in 1996.
“Obviously there were a lot of doubts coming into this season by a lot
of people. It’s nice to answer those doubts and have an opportunity to
do even better than that.”
Now, not to rain on the
Coyotes parade here, but this season’s magic will just go up like a puff
of smoke if the team doesn’t get out of the first round of the
playoffs. We’ve seen Dave Tippett’s teams before; always great in the
regular season, shaky in the postseason.
Hence, getting as high a
seed as possible would be ideal. Except if they nail down #2 and
Colorado get #7. Those first round exits against the Avalanche will
haunt Tippett forever.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)