Mar 30, 2010, 1:25 PM EDT
Let’s forget all of the nasty rumors about the Phoenix Coyotes
possibly being on their way to Winnipeg*. The Coyotes are just four
points behind the San Jose Sharks and the top seed in the West,
something that is incredibly impressive considering the state of the
franchise just months ago.
*I don’t want to step on Jets fans,
either. It’s an ugly situation all around.
has to be most proud about the turnaround is Shane Doan, who has been
with the franchise since 1995 — when they were the Winnipeg Jets. From
Justin Piercy of CBC Sports:
“It’s special for us
as a team,” said captain Shane Doan, who started
his career with the team before it was relocated from Winnipeg in 1996.
“Obviously there were a lot of doubts coming into this season by a lot
of people. It’s nice to answer those doubts and have an opportunity to
do even better than that.”
Now, not to rain on the
Coyotes parade here, but this season’s magic will just go up like a puff
of smoke if the team doesn’t get out of the first round of the
playoffs. We’ve seen Dave Tippett’s teams before; always great in the
regular season, shaky in the postseason.
Hence, getting as high a
seed as possible would be ideal. Except if they nail down #2 and
Colorado get #7. Those first round exits against the Avalanche will
haunt Tippett forever.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)