Mar 30, 2010, 1:25 PM EST
Let’s forget all of the nasty rumors about the Phoenix Coyotes
possibly being on their way to Winnipeg*. The Coyotes are just four
points behind the San Jose Sharks and the top seed in the West,
something that is incredibly impressive considering the state of the
franchise just months ago.
*I don’t want to step on Jets fans,
either. It’s an ugly situation all around.
has to be most proud about the turnaround is Shane Doan, who has been
with the franchise since 1995 — when they were the Winnipeg Jets. From
Justin Piercy of CBC Sports:
“It’s special for us
as a team,” said captain Shane Doan, who started
his career with the team before it was relocated from Winnipeg in 1996.
“Obviously there were a lot of doubts coming into this season by a lot
of people. It’s nice to answer those doubts and have an opportunity to
do even better than that.”
Now, not to rain on the
Coyotes parade here, but this season’s magic will just go up like a puff
of smoke if the team doesn’t get out of the first round of the
playoffs. We’ve seen Dave Tippett’s teams before; always great in the
regular season, shaky in the postseason.
Hence, getting as high a
seed as possible would be ideal. Except if they nail down #2 and
Colorado get #7. Those first round exits against the Avalanche will
haunt Tippett forever.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)