Mar 29, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
Earlier today we reported on a story that the NHL had a ‘deal in principle’ worked out with an ownership group based out of Toronto, to move the franchise to Winnipeg if the league couldn’t sell the team by June.
An update by Tim Campbell in the Winnipeg Free Press states such a plan is merely the third option for the league, and that True North spokesman Scott Brown is saying that the report in the Phoenix Business Journal is false.
An important note in the story is that the city council of Glendale, Arizona will be meeting tomorrow to discuss possible lease concessions; the financial aspects of the arena lease are one of the biggest issues facing a potential sale of the team to keep the team local.
The NHL is doing all it can to keep the team in Arizona, and like we said earlier the supposed deal with David Thomson was merely — if true — a backup plan if the first two two potential owners didn’t work out.
(H/T to James Mirtle for the link)
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)