Mar 29, 2010, 8:00 PM EST
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes we will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange, funny or a bit “off.”
There have been a lot of hilarious and lame moments in the last week and we’d hate for you to miss out on all of them. Here’s a quick gallery of some “d’oh” moments from around the NHL.
- Jim Playfair probably wishes he could go back to being known as the moderately unsuccessful former coach of the Calgary Flames right about now. In case you haven’t seen the hilarious outburst (one stick wasn’t enough! ONE STICK IS NEVER ENOUGH.), check out the video here. I’d hate to see how he reacts when dinner is burnt or his dog poops on the carpet.
- Patrick Eaves’ aborted shootout attempt was something else, but at least he was willing to poke fun at himself (something tells me Patrik Stefan lacks the same funny bone). Helene St. James got this quote from him for the Detroit Free Press.
No one laughed faster than Eaves, though.
“I was dying laughing,” he said. “It was hilarious. There is no other way to describe it. I just got caught in a rut or something and toe-picked it, went airborne and slid into the corner, laughing. When I got back to the bench, it took everyone a second to stop laughing. There was a big celebration when I got back to the bench and in the locker room – we probably celebrated more about that than if I would have actually scored. It was pretty funny.”
- Patrik Berglund might need to get a new alarm clock. The Blues forward had to apologize to teammates after sleeping through a practice and therefore having to miss Sunday’s game against Edmonton, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Let’s not be all negative though. Abel 2 Yzerman and other Detroit blogs got together to bring a Brazilian Red Wings fan to a game at Joe Louis Arena. Check out all the inspiring details here. Kudos to A2Y and Co. for doing something truly great.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)