Mar 29, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
Every once in a while, we’ll come across stories that are just too strange to pass up. Sometimes we’ll get a tip from an e-mail; sometimes we will stumble across something bizarre on a hockey site. Either way, this might not be the most “pertinent” information but it certainly will be strange, funny or a bit “off.”
There have been a lot of hilarious and lame moments in the last week and we’d hate for you to miss out on all of them. Here’s a quick gallery of some “d’oh” moments from around the NHL.
- Jim Playfair probably wishes he could go back to being known as the moderately unsuccessful former coach of the Calgary Flames right about now. In case you haven’t seen the hilarious outburst (one stick wasn’t enough! ONE STICK IS NEVER ENOUGH.), check out the video here. I’d hate to see how he reacts when dinner is burnt or his dog poops on the carpet.
- Patrick Eaves’ aborted shootout attempt was something else, but at least he was willing to poke fun at himself (something tells me Patrik Stefan lacks the same funny bone). Helene St. James got this quote from him for the Detroit Free Press.
No one laughed faster than Eaves, though.
“I was dying laughing,” he said. “It was hilarious. There is no other way to describe it. I just got caught in a rut or something and toe-picked it, went airborne and slid into the corner, laughing. When I got back to the bench, it took everyone a second to stop laughing. There was a big celebration when I got back to the bench and in the locker room – we probably celebrated more about that than if I would have actually scored. It was pretty funny.”
- Patrik Berglund might need to get a new alarm clock. The Blues forward had to apologize to teammates after sleeping through a practice and therefore having to miss Sunday’s game against Edmonton, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Let’s not be all negative though. Abel 2 Yzerman and other Detroit blogs got together to bring a Brazilian Red Wings fan to a game at Joe Louis Arena. Check out all the inspiring details here. Kudos to A2Y and Co. for doing something truly great.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)