Mar 29, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News is reporting that will miss tonight’s game for
‘disciplinary reasons’, after missing a team meeting on Sunday.
Crawford skated Ribeiro hard after the morning skate in
what clearly was a message skate.
GM Joe Nieuwendyk said
he backs his coach.
“We have team rules and we have a schedule,
and players need to respect that,” Nieuwendyk said. “We talked about
it and it’s a decision that I feel is correct.”
This is the first time in four seasons that Mike Ribeiro has had any
such issue in Dallas, although he had a reputation of being a bit of
problem child while with the . Their issues with him led the team to trade Ribeiro to
Dallas in what could be the most one-sided traded of all time (unless
the Habs seriously thought Janne Niinnimaa was of the same caliber as
Still, it’s just a missed meeting and it’s obvious that
Crawford is sending a message that despite the Stars missing the
playoffs and basically playing for pride at this point, his team will
not slack off the rest of the season.
As Nieuwendyk and Crawford
look to the future and what they want their team to be, it’s a
possibility that Mike Ribeiro doesn’t fit into those plans. His skill
set, while magical at times, is not the approach that Crawford preaches.
Ribeiro likes to slow the game down, go at his own pace while Crawford
wants an intense and uptempo approach.
Could this be the first
step in Ribeiro being traded this summer? It’s possible. Certainly not a great impression your coach to have headed into the offseason.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)