Mar 29, 2010, 2:57 PM EST
We’re big fans of Mike Green here at Pro Hockey Talk. We’ve talked
about how his numbers compare to some of the greatest all-time
defensemen, and the PHT readers all agree that Green is the best
offensive defenseman currently playing in the NHL.
But is it
enough for a Norris Trophy?
With 17 goals and 71 points in 70 games, Green certainly has the
offensive credentials. Not only that, his plus-33 is second best in the
NHL amongst defenceman. Only teammate Jeff
Schultz‘s plus-37 is better. How much of a defensive liability can
you really be at plus-33?
Also boding well for Green is the fact he also led the NHL in scoring
among defencemen last season, with a whopping 31 goals and 73 points in
68 games. Zdeno
Chara of the Boston
Bruins edged Green out for the Norris Trophy last season, but it is
easy to imagine voters looking at Green’s body of work over two seasons
and deciding he has earned the honor this year.
Brophy acknowledges that Green not being named to Team Canada hurts
his chances, but the arguments about his defensive liability seem to be a
bit overdone after seeing what he’s done two seasons in a row.
Duncan Keith is most likely Green’s biggest competition, as there’s
no doubt he’s becoming the most complete defenseman in the NHL. But is
he there yet? It’s a great argument over whether raw numbers will
outweigh the public perception that Green is soft on defense. If you
just watch him play game after game, it becomes obvious how dangerous he
is on the ice and just how important he is to the success of the
Hopefully Green’s acting ability isn’t used against him. It’s not his fault he has the on screen charisma of a rock.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 3
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 20
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 14
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27