Mar 29, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
You see it all the time.
A fielder in baseball makes a bad play, misses a catch…then looks down at his glove as if a hole suddenly appeared in his mitt, and that’s to blame.
A golfer misjudges the distance from the rough, shanks the ball 40 yards to the left…then looks at his club head as if to say “what happened?”
Blame the mechanic, not the tools. That’s how it’s supposed to be.
Now we have Duncan Keith saying his skates are a big reason for his disappointing play since the Olympics.
“I like my skates to fit right and to feel good,” Keith
said. “When you feel good out there, you play good. It’s been a while
since I had a good pair.
“They’re just not sending me good pairs of skates,
there’s not much more to say. Every hockey player likes his equipment to
feel good and my skating is my biggest asset. When my skates are
feeling good and fit right and are how I like them, then I skate how I
want to skate.”
As a hockey player, I will admit that not being comfortable in your skates is a serious detriment to playing to the best of your ability. And it does seem as if something has been off with Keith lately.
Despite having 13 points in the 13 games since the break, Keith is a combined minus-7, something that is uncharacteristic for the Blackhawks defenseman.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)