Mar 29, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
You see it all the time.
A fielder in baseball makes a bad play, misses a catch…then looks down at his glove as if a hole suddenly appeared in his mitt, and that’s to blame.
A golfer misjudges the distance from the rough, shanks the ball 40 yards to the left…then looks at his club head as if to say “what happened?”
Blame the mechanic, not the tools. That’s how it’s supposed to be.
Now we have Duncan Keith saying his skates are a big reason for his disappointing play since the Olympics.
“I like my skates to fit right and to feel good,” Keith
said. “When you feel good out there, you play good. It’s been a while
since I had a good pair.
“They’re just not sending me good pairs of skates,
there’s not much more to say. Every hockey player likes his equipment to
feel good and my skating is my biggest asset. When my skates are
feeling good and fit right and are how I like them, then I skate how I
want to skate.”
As a hockey player, I will admit that not being comfortable in your skates is a serious detriment to playing to the best of your ability. And it does seem as if something has been off with Keith lately.
Despite having 13 points in the 13 games since the break, Keith is a combined minus-7, something that is uncharacteristic for the Blackhawks defenseman.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)