Mar 29, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
You see it all the time.
A fielder in baseball makes a bad play, misses a catch…then looks down at his glove as if a hole suddenly appeared in his mitt, and that’s to blame.
A golfer misjudges the distance from the rough, shanks the ball 40 yards to the left…then looks at his club head as if to say “what happened?”
Blame the mechanic, not the tools. That’s how it’s supposed to be.
Now we have Duncan Keith saying his skates are a big reason for his disappointing play since the Olympics.
“I like my skates to fit right and to feel good,” Keith
said. “When you feel good out there, you play good. It’s been a while
since I had a good pair.
“They’re just not sending me good pairs of skates,
there’s not much more to say. Every hockey player likes his equipment to
feel good and my skating is my biggest asset. When my skates are
feeling good and fit right and are how I like them, then I skate how I
want to skate.”
As a hockey player, I will admit that not being comfortable in your skates is a serious detriment to playing to the best of your ability. And it does seem as if something has been off with Keith lately.
Despite having 13 points in the 13 games since the break, Keith is a combined minus-7, something that is uncharacteristic for the Blackhawks defenseman.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires