Mar 29, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s amazing what is happening in Washington. The Capitals and Alex
Ovechkin have been able to turn the D.C. area into a thriving, intense
and absolutely crazy hockey town. In fact, it’s generally considered
that the Verizon Center is the most exciting place to watch a hockey
game. The fans are loud and boisterous, and think of some of the
greatest and most inventive ways to show their fanaticism.
Capitals do their part as well. Out of 34 home games this season, the
Capitals have lost just nine — only five of which were in regulation.
That means that 85% of the time fans go to a home game, they’ll watch
their team get at least a point. There’s absolutely nothing for them to
So imagine my surprise yesterday while watching
the Capitals host the Flames when boos rained down on the team from the
stands, as the home team entered the first intermission down 4-0.
is not team in the NHL that deserves to be booed at home less than the
Washington Capitals. I understand that it was a rough period for the
team on Sunday afternoon, against the Calgary Flames no less, but in the
course of a season it’s going to happen to a team. There are going to
be games where the other team just happens to play better.
fact that it hasn’t happened very often for the Capitals does not make
it right to boo them when it does. Coach Boudreau was just as shocked as
“When you’ve lost four out of 35 at home, give the guys at
Boudreau said in his postgame press conference. “I could see it if we
were doing this on a regular
Be thankful for the times when you have an insanely
dominant team, and support them in any and every way possible while you
can. It’s not going to last forever. This is a team that is one of the
most dominant teams we’ve ever seen in the NHL, and you boo them after
one bad period? Nevermind that the Caps were able to come back and
actually make it a good game, before eventually losing 5-3.
Washington Capitals have had a four-goal deficit for less than ten
minutes — total — all season long. TEN MINUTES out of more than 7,500.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)