Mar 28, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
What San Jose Sharks fans are used to seeing: Joe Thornton putting up
great regular season numbers, playing in every single game on his way
to disappearing in the playoffs en route to an early and disappointing
exit for the Sharks.
What they aren’t used to seeing? Joe Thornton hurt and down on the
ice, with his status for the next game uncertain. Neither are his
teammates, according to David Pollack of the San Jose Mercury News.
Thornton was hit by Alexander Edler of the Vancouver Canucks and went
down awkwardly into the boards and left with what is reported to be a
lower body injury.
“From talking around, I don’t think it was a dirty hit,
but it was just a reaction,” Clowe said of his decision to get in
Edler’s face after seeing Thornton prone on the ice. “And I don’t think I
did anything too serious, just give him a little shake.
just one of those bang-bang plays. Since I’ve played with him, Joe’s
never missed a game and I’ve never seen him go down very much. When he
stayed down, I was just kind of reacting,” Clowe added. “One of the best
players in the league, you don’t want to take any chances. You want to
let the other team know (they can’t do anything) cheap against him.”
learn more before tonight’s Sharks game. While the jokes will always
continue about Thornton’s inability to raise his game during the
playoffs, there’s no doubt the Sharks need a player of his caliber. He
has 66 assists this season, significantly more that of Dan Boyle who is
second on the team with 39. He also has the largest disparity between assists and goals in the NHL this season; for a team fighting for the top seed in the West and the Pacific division title, losing Thornton is not exactly something the Sharks would need.
Even if he’ll disappear in the playoffs anyways, they’d still like to have him on the way to the postseason.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)