Mar 28, 2010, 6:55 PM EST
It’s almost as if Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are playing some sort of telepathic game of goal scoring “H-O-R-S-E.” The two seem especially likely to score when the other did so earlier in a given day. Really, the Rocket Richard trophy lead is as fleeting as an encounter with Kaiser Soze.
Ovechkin scored his 46th of the year on a power play during the first period of what would be a 5-3 loss to the Calgary Flames. It gave the goal scoring dynamo the lead … for a matter of a few hours.
That’s because Sidney Crosby scored two goals within four minutes in the second period of a 5-4 shootout win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Obviously, Crosby has had the advantage since he’s played in 10 more games than Ovechkin, but I doubt that the league will complain that its two biggest stars could fight the rest of the season for the Richard trophy. Of course, neither player can sleep on the dark horse candidate in the goal scoring race: Steven Stamkos. The sophomore center has 45 goals so anything can happen in this net-filling race.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)