Mar 28, 2010, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s almost as if Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are playing some sort of telepathic game of goal scoring “H-O-R-S-E.” The two seem especially likely to score when the other did so earlier in a given day. Really, the Rocket Richard trophy lead is as fleeting as an encounter with Kaiser Soze.
Ovechkin scored his 46th of the year on a power play during the first period of what would be a 5-3 loss to the Calgary Flames. It gave the goal scoring dynamo the lead … for a matter of a few hours.
That’s because Sidney Crosby scored two goals within four minutes in the second period of a 5-4 shootout win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Obviously, Crosby has had the advantage since he’s played in 10 more games than Ovechkin, but I doubt that the league will complain that its two biggest stars could fight the rest of the season for the Richard trophy. Of course, neither player can sleep on the dark horse candidate in the goal scoring race: Steven Stamkos. The sophomore center has 45 goals so anything can happen in this net-filling race.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)