Mar 28, 2010, 6:55 PM EDT
It’s almost as if Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are playing some sort of telepathic game of goal scoring “H-O-R-S-E.” The two seem especially likely to score when the other did so earlier in a given day. Really, the Rocket Richard trophy lead is as fleeting as an encounter with Kaiser Soze.
Ovechkin scored his 46th of the year on a power play during the first period of what would be a 5-3 loss to the Calgary Flames. It gave the goal scoring dynamo the lead … for a matter of a few hours.
That’s because Sidney Crosby scored two goals within four minutes in the second period of a 5-4 shootout win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Obviously, Crosby has had the advantage since he’s played in 10 more games than Ovechkin, but I doubt that the league will complain that its two biggest stars could fight the rest of the season for the Richard trophy. Of course, neither player can sleep on the dark horse candidate in the goal scoring race: Steven Stamkos. The sophomore center has 45 goals so anything can happen in this net-filling race.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)