Mar 27, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
Once again, I would like to propose a nickname for Dennis Seidenberg: “Pain Sponge.” The Bruins defenseman already earned Brownie Points for leading the league in blocked shots, but apparently he has also taken the most non-puck abuse to boot.
Behind the Net published some fantastic stats showing which players take and receive the most checks. I’ll point out some of the more interesting facts from the post.
Hits For Leaders
- Matt Greene
- Ryan Getzlaf
- Cal Clutterbuck
- Dustin Brown
- Brooks Orpik
Some other noteworthy names on the list: Alex Ovechkin, Dion Phaneuf and Matt Cooke.
Most Hits Received
- Dennis Seidenberg
- Adam Pardy
- Mark Giordano
- Jason Blake
- Brian Rafalski
You have to wonder if these guys ever got shoved into a locker in high school. A few other leaders in hits taken: Zach Parise, Loui Eriksson and Brian Campbell. Behind the Net pointed out that only Stephane Robidas, Brent Seabrook and Douglas Murray made both of those lists.
Perhaps the most interesting stats involve players who seemingly only take or receive checks. I wonder if someone somewhere is making an obligatory “Doug Janik is fragile man. He’s a pacifist” joke right now. (Besides me, that is.)
Players who have the worst “ratio” of hits received versus dealt out
- Doug Janik
- Brad Richards
- Brian Campbell
- Boyd Gordon
- Mark Eaton
Now, even the meekest of hockey players are probably ten thousand times tougher than I am, but lists like this still make me giggle. Laughter-inducing bonus: Kyle Wellwood makes the list, but don’t feel too bad for him as his “winter coat” absorbs most of the pain. (Oops, I’m not supposed to make any more Wellwood fat jokes!)
Leaders in the ratio of hits given versus taken
- Adrian Aucoin
- Tim Gleason
- Brian Boyle
- Samuel Pahlsson
- Mike Commodore
Their stats on Aucoin are especially crazy: apparently he’s thrown 51 hits and only taken 8 checks in road games this season.
Again, thanks to Behind the Net for another great stats-related article.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5