Mar 27, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Every now and then, Pro Hockey Talk will ask for insight from some of the best team bloggers out there. For this feature, we asked a simple question: “Who is your team’s most frustrating player?” Just for fun, Brandon and I also provided our “guesses” as to who that player might be.
First, here are our guesses for the Rangers.
Brandon: Chris Drury
Because $7 million a season was completely worth it.
James: Wade Redden
Say what you will about Chris Drury, at least he can bring something to the table. It’s pretty difficult to justify Redden’s hockey existence.
Next up, we have Scotty Hockey representing the Rangers. Scotty’s one of our favorite bloggers. Make sure to check his blog out, especially if you’re a fan of the Blueshirts.
James was kind enough to ask me who my greatest source of frustration was on the Rangers. But he went on to ask for a guy with skill and/or numbers who have some kind of flaw that draws you up a wall. Well, the Rangers have three players with numbers and flaws … but the numbers James wanted were points on the ice, not obscene digits in their bank accounts. So, that pretty much rules out Wade Redden, Michal Roszival and Chris Drury – infuriating players, all.
That leaves me in the poor position of picking someone who has been good but not as good as we have hoped. Regular readers of my blog know I have been disappointed by Artem Anisimov but it isn’t his inconsistent play that is frustrating – the fact that he hasn’t been sent back to Hartford for further development is.
Jump for Scotty’s choice
So, all factors considered, I would have to go with Brandon Dubinsky. Dubi held out to start the season, was thought to be a possible first-line center and has just 37 points in 60 games. He was a great compliment to Jaromir Jagr but never found chemistry with Gaborik and has been up and down the lineup and has recently been put on the wing. Just seven of his 37 points have come with the man advantage and he rarely uses his size to his advantage. Dubi has developed marginally - because of or in spite of the current coaching regime – but he has yet to make the leap to stardom.
For years now I have believed that he has the tools to become a Jason Arnott-esque player for the Blueshirts but now wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he gets dealt in the offseason as the Rangers seek to work around Redden, Rozy and Drury’s contracts and bring another star on Broadway. He is turning 24 at the end of April so there is plenty of time for Dubi to develop but the Rangers are not known for their patience with prospects and corporate clients would surely love to see another big name added to the marquee beside Gaborik and Lundqvist.
And, as I wrote this piece pointing out his flaws, Dubinsky fired a wrister that deflected off of two Devils and went past Mmmaaarrrtttyyy to tie Thursday night’s Ranger game at one. How frustrating is that? Timing is everything, isn’t it? But hopefully time isn’t running out for him in New York. No matter how frustrating he has been.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness