Mar 27, 2010, 3:08 PM EDT
Marc Savard held a brief press conference this afternoon for the
national and Boston media, appearing in public for the first time since
Matt Cooke’s shoulder knocked him out for the season. He was pale,
struggled at times with his responses and generally looked like a guy
who had made it out of his house for the first time in three weeks.
spoke of wanting to get back on the ice as soon as possible, but also
sounded as if it’s going to take some time for that to happen.
is what I grew up learning to do and what I want to do for a long
time,” he said. “I want to get back and play hockey as soon as possible.
I’m taking it a day at a time. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.”
asked about whether he’s had concussions before, and how this one
compares to those, he was clear that this recovery has been tough for
“I had three kind of minor ones, none as serious,” Savard
said. “I don’t
feel good a lot of days. I have trouble sleeping through the night.
Everyday things I don’t feel comfortable doing. Very irritable. I get
mad at a lot of things I shouldn’t.
“I’m just trying to feel
normal again and I don’t feel that way right
now. I’m getting outside, getting some fresh air, but
I’m not where I need to be. I miss playing hockey. I miss my buddies.
Hopefully. I’m back soon.”
Savard did feel well enough to put in a
dig at his team’s power play, which has struggled considerably since
he’s been out. He won’t be able to help out anytime soon.
I would like to get back and help my team. I’m not
looking at it right now. I want to get healthy. I need a couple clear
days before I can get on a bike. Right now, Just taking it day by day.”
also was understandably bitter and upset over the hit, and had this to
say about Matt Cooke attempting to reach out to him.
“Yeah, he has tried and he has tried to get my phone number and stuff
like that, but from what happened I really don’t, right at the moment,
have any interest in talking to him and that’s just how I feel. Maybe down the road, but right now, I am not feeling any better
so I would rather just not talk to him.
“To me, it was a shoulder and I watched the (Mike) Richards on (David)
Booth hit. I
think that was a shoulder…. I think mine was more of an elbow, so I
think there was an attempt to injure there.
“It was an attempt to injure that could have been
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)