Mar 27, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Earlier this week, the great logo and jersey-obsessed blog Icethetics shared news that 11 teams could introduce new alternate or primary sweaters for the 2010-11season. Teams that might be making some changes are Anaheim, Buffalo, Calgary, Columbus, Dallas, Nashville, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The post got me thinking: which teams’ jerseys need a makeover the most? Let’s take a look at some of the league’s more lackluster uniforms.
I really dislike the huge “Vancouver” on the front of the jerseys and the whale logo never really worked for me either. I’d be really happy if the Canucks went back to their sharp Pavel Bure-era duds. Check out those beauties. That’s an Anna Kournikova-worhy sweater, folks.
Anaheim Ducks/Dallas Stars
Both teams have inoffensive yet bland jersey designs. The Ducks’ “logo” seems more like a font than anything else. I know they want to distance themselves from the Mighty Ducks jokes, but a little personality would be nice.
For the Stars, I guess anything’s better than the “Mooterus” but their jerseys seem pretty non-committal too. Would it be too insulting to Minnesota fans to look into a design that mimics those old North Stars designs?
My main beef is that the logo is lame. It’s a classic example of the trend of making emblems look quasi-futuristic and “tough.” I also don’t like the fact that the bird dwarfs the hockey stick. How large are Thrashers, really?
Come on, everyone wants the sweet “Buffalo with two sabres” logo to come back. Stop teasing us by making that design their third jersey and get rid of the “Buffaslug” once and for all.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 8
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 20
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 10
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 64
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination