Mar 27, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
Earlier this week, the great logo and jersey-obsessed blog Icethetics shared news that 11 teams could introduce new alternate or primary sweaters for the 2010-11season. Teams that might be making some changes are Anaheim, Buffalo, Calgary, Columbus, Dallas, Nashville, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The post got me thinking: which teams’ jerseys need a makeover the most? Let’s take a look at some of the league’s more lackluster uniforms.
I really dislike the huge “Vancouver” on the front of the jerseys and the whale logo never really worked for me either. I’d be really happy if the Canucks went back to their sharp Pavel Bure-era duds. Check out those beauties. That’s an Anna Kournikova-worhy sweater, folks.
Anaheim Ducks/Dallas Stars
Both teams have inoffensive yet bland jersey designs. The Ducks’ “logo” seems more like a font than anything else. I know they want to distance themselves from the Mighty Ducks jokes, but a little personality would be nice.
For the Stars, I guess anything’s better than the “Mooterus” but their jerseys seem pretty non-committal too. Would it be too insulting to Minnesota fans to look into a design that mimics those old North Stars designs?
My main beef is that the logo is lame. It’s a classic example of the trend of making emblems look quasi-futuristic and “tough.” I also don’t like the fact that the bird dwarfs the hockey stick. How large are Thrashers, really?
Come on, everyone wants the sweet “Buffalo with two sabres” logo to come back. Stop teasing us by making that design their third jersey and get rid of the “Buffaslug” once and for all.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)