Mar 27, 2010, 1:21 PM EST
Jonas Siegal of the Eat.Sleep.Leafs. Blog on AM 640 has some great
quotes from Jonas Gustavsson, as he talks about his reverence for
Swedish goaltending legend Henrik Lundqvist.
“For myself, why I liked to watch Lundqvist was he played a style I
liked and I tried to follow it a bit back then. I liked to do similar
stuff because he was so explosive and aggressive in the net. Before
that the goalies were just standing up and trying to save the pucks. If
it was a good play, maybe it was an open net, they didn’t care so
much. This guy Lundvist, he just played with so much explosiveness so
he could just take himself to all around it, like most goalies play now
in the NHL. Before that goalies didn’t play like that so I think
that’s the biggest reason for me why I liked watching because he played
the game that I liked”.
Gustavsson is on his way to staking
his claim as the Leafs’ starting goaltender for the future, and I’m
hearing that a contract extension is in the works.
everyone should have expected, he needed some time to adjust to the NHL.
He’s come on strong after the Olympic break, and the Leafs — despite
their AHL caliber roster — are playing their best hockey of the season.
could play serious spoiler down the stretch, and it starts tonight
against the New York Rangers.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 5
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 3
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46