Mar 27, 2010, 1:21 PM EDT
Jonas Siegal of the Eat.Sleep.Leafs. Blog on AM 640 has some great
quotes from Jonas Gustavsson, as he talks about his reverence for
Swedish goaltending legend Henrik Lundqvist.
“For myself, why I liked to watch Lundqvist was he played a style I
liked and I tried to follow it a bit back then. I liked to do similar
stuff because he was so explosive and aggressive in the net. Before
that the goalies were just standing up and trying to save the pucks. If
it was a good play, maybe it was an open net, they didn’t care so
much. This guy Lundvist, he just played with so much explosiveness so
he could just take himself to all around it, like most goalies play now
in the NHL. Before that goalies didn’t play like that so I think
that’s the biggest reason for me why I liked watching because he played
the game that I liked”.
Gustavsson is on his way to staking
his claim as the Leafs’ starting goaltender for the future, and I’m
hearing that a contract extension is in the works.
everyone should have expected, he needed some time to adjust to the NHL.
He’s come on strong after the Olympic break, and the Leafs — despite
their AHL caliber roster — are playing their best hockey of the season.
could play serious spoiler down the stretch, and it starts tonight
against the New York Rangers.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22