Mar 26, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
For 95% of the players in the NHL, 12 points in 13 games would be
pretty respectable, if not incredible. For Alex Ovechkin, it’s an
increasingly worrisome slump. The NHL’s most exciting player has come
down to earth over the past month of hockey, with just three goals and
nine assists since February 7th. That night against the Penguins,
Ovechkin had a hat trick and four points. Since then, it’s been a bit
The good news is that the Capitals have still
managed to maintain their high level of play, although it’s getting to
the point where Caps fans have to start becoming concerned.
Japers’ Rink has this to say about the slump:
it goes without saying that for the Caps to have any success when it
matters, they’ll need Ovi to be the goal-scoring dynamo he’s known for
being; during their captain’s slump (which stands at 15 games for the
team), they’ve won eight games and lost seven (including four in the
shootout and one in overtime). For all the talk of how the Caps aren’t a
one-man team – and rest assured, they aren’t – there’s no question from
whom they take their lead.
Since Ovechkin’s ‘slump’
began, the Capitals have had nine of their 15 games go to overtime.
Their inability to close out games or maintain leads is certainly
concerning, and the inability of Ovechkin to find his magical scoring
touch is most likely a good reason for all of the extra hockey.
said it before, but Ovechkin going through this down time now is good
for the Capitals in the long run. Now, if this continues into the
playoffs, well…Washington will be in some trouble.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39