Mar 26, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
For 95% of the players in the NHL, 12 points in 13 games would be
pretty respectable, if not incredible. For Alex Ovechkin, it’s an
increasingly worrisome slump. The NHL’s most exciting player has come
down to earth over the past month of hockey, with just three goals and
nine assists since February 7th. That night against the Penguins,
Ovechkin had a hat trick and four points. Since then, it’s been a bit
The good news is that the Capitals have still
managed to maintain their high level of play, although it’s getting to
the point where Caps fans have to start becoming concerned.
Japers’ Rink has this to say about the slump:
it goes without saying that for the Caps to have any success when it
matters, they’ll need Ovi to be the goal-scoring dynamo he’s known for
being; during their captain’s slump (which stands at 15 games for the
team), they’ve won eight games and lost seven (including four in the
shootout and one in overtime). For all the talk of how the Caps aren’t a
one-man team – and rest assured, they aren’t – there’s no question from
whom they take their lead.
Since Ovechkin’s ‘slump’
began, the Capitals have had nine of their 15 games go to overtime.
Their inability to close out games or maintain leads is certainly
concerning, and the inability of Ovechkin to find his magical scoring
touch is most likely a good reason for all of the extra hockey.
said it before, but Ovechkin going through this down time now is good
for the Capitals in the long run. Now, if this continues into the
playoffs, well…Washington will be in some trouble.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6