Mar 26, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
For 95% of the players in the NHL, 12 points in 13 games would be
pretty respectable, if not incredible. For Alex Ovechkin, it’s an
increasingly worrisome slump. The NHL’s most exciting player has come
down to earth over the past month of hockey, with just three goals and
nine assists since February 7th. That night against the Penguins,
Ovechkin had a hat trick and four points. Since then, it’s been a bit
The good news is that the Capitals have still
managed to maintain their high level of play, although it’s getting to
the point where Caps fans have to start becoming concerned.
Japers’ Rink has this to say about the slump:
it goes without saying that for the Caps to have any success when it
matters, they’ll need Ovi to be the goal-scoring dynamo he’s known for
being; during their captain’s slump (which stands at 15 games for the
team), they’ve won eight games and lost seven (including four in the
shootout and one in overtime). For all the talk of how the Caps aren’t a
one-man team – and rest assured, they aren’t – there’s no question from
whom they take their lead.
Since Ovechkin’s ‘slump’
began, the Capitals have had nine of their 15 games go to overtime.
Their inability to close out games or maintain leads is certainly
concerning, and the inability of Ovechkin to find his magical scoring
touch is most likely a good reason for all of the extra hockey.
said it before, but Ovechkin going through this down time now is good
for the Capitals in the long run. Now, if this continues into the
playoffs, well…Washington will be in some trouble.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)