Mar 25, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Here are some assorted bits from around the NHL today.
- Should the Penguins be worried about their poor play against the Eastern Conference elite? ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun brings up the question, pointing out that Pittsburgh is winless against the conference’s two best teams. They’re 0-6 against New Jersey and 0-1-2 against Washington. LeBrun went on to discuss the fact that despite complaints of excessive attention paid to Crosby and Ovechkin, the rivalry keeps living up to the hype.
All of which is why I’m pretty sure you’ll hear an official announcement from the NHL at some point soon that next season’s Winter Classic on Jan. 1 will feature these two teams. It’s a no-brainer. It’s the NHL’s best rivalry right now with the game’s two biggest stars.
No matter how many people fill the ESPN.com message boards complaining that Crosby and Ovechkin have reached the saturation point in their exposure, the reality is completely the opposite.
- I discussed the possibility of “Hockey-tar” last week, so I think it might be wise to share this great review of the MSG Network’s first 3-D hockey game. NHL Fanhouse’s Chris Botta provides a good read on the event, setting the scene and explaining the potential appeal.
What I can tell you is the debut of hockey in 3D was a success. For starters, it actually worked. The image on the 32×18 foot screen at the MSG theatre was crisp. Everyone from David Lee of the Knicks to D’Brickashaw Ferguson of the Jets to Peter Criss of Kiss and Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad put on their geeky 3D glasses and didn’t want to take them off. Except for maybe when Sports Illustrated swimsuits models Jessica White, Irina Shayk and Dominique Piek walked to their seats.
The bottom line: if 3D TVs were more readily available, if I had the room in my house and if I had the cash, I would join the 3D movement.
- Finally, I was relieved to hear that Travis Moen didn’t suffer a “serious” injury after taking a skate to the face but apparently he was put back together by Dr. Frankenstein. I wonder how many stitches he ended up getting right there …
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)