Mar 25, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Here are some assorted bits from around the NHL today.
- Should the Penguins be worried about their poor play against the Eastern Conference elite? ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun brings up the question, pointing out that Pittsburgh is winless against the conference’s two best teams. They’re 0-6 against New Jersey and 0-1-2 against Washington. LeBrun went on to discuss the fact that despite complaints of excessive attention paid to Crosby and Ovechkin, the rivalry keeps living up to the hype.
All of which is why I’m pretty sure you’ll hear an official announcement from the NHL at some point soon that next season’s Winter Classic on Jan. 1 will feature these two teams. It’s a no-brainer. It’s the NHL’s best rivalry right now with the game’s two biggest stars.
No matter how many people fill the ESPN.com message boards complaining that Crosby and Ovechkin have reached the saturation point in their exposure, the reality is completely the opposite.
- I discussed the possibility of “Hockey-tar” last week, so I think it might be wise to share this great review of the MSG Network’s first 3-D hockey game. NHL Fanhouse’s Chris Botta provides a good read on the event, setting the scene and explaining the potential appeal.
What I can tell you is the debut of hockey in 3D was a success. For starters, it actually worked. The image on the 32×18 foot screen at the MSG theatre was crisp. Everyone from David Lee of the Knicks to D’Brickashaw Ferguson of the Jets to Peter Criss of Kiss and Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad put on their geeky 3D glasses and didn’t want to take them off. Except for maybe when Sports Illustrated swimsuits models Jessica White, Irina Shayk and Dominique Piek walked to their seats.
The bottom line: if 3D TVs were more readily available, if I had the room in my house and if I had the cash, I would join the 3D movement.
- Finally, I was relieved to hear that Travis Moen didn’t suffer a “serious” injury after taking a skate to the face but apparently he was put back together by Dr. Frankenstein. I wonder how many stitches he ended up getting right there …
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)