Mar 25, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Here are some assorted bits from around the NHL today.
- Should the Penguins be worried about their poor play against the Eastern Conference elite? ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun brings up the question, pointing out that Pittsburgh is winless against the conference’s two best teams. They’re 0-6 against New Jersey and 0-1-2 against Washington. LeBrun went on to discuss the fact that despite complaints of excessive attention paid to Crosby and Ovechkin, the rivalry keeps living up to the hype.
All of which is why I’m pretty sure you’ll hear an official announcement from the NHL at some point soon that next season’s Winter Classic on Jan. 1 will feature these two teams. It’s a no-brainer. It’s the NHL’s best rivalry right now with the game’s two biggest stars.
No matter how many people fill the ESPN.com message boards complaining that Crosby and Ovechkin have reached the saturation point in their exposure, the reality is completely the opposite.
- I discussed the possibility of “Hockey-tar” last week, so I think it might be wise to share this great review of the MSG Network’s first 3-D hockey game. NHL Fanhouse’s Chris Botta provides a good read on the event, setting the scene and explaining the potential appeal.
What I can tell you is the debut of hockey in 3D was a success. For starters, it actually worked. The image on the 32×18 foot screen at the MSG theatre was crisp. Everyone from David Lee of the Knicks to D’Brickashaw Ferguson of the Jets to Peter Criss of Kiss and Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad put on their geeky 3D glasses and didn’t want to take them off. Except for maybe when Sports Illustrated swimsuits models Jessica White, Irina Shayk and Dominique Piek walked to their seats.
The bottom line: if 3D TVs were more readily available, if I had the room in my house and if I had the cash, I would join the 3D movement.
- Finally, I was relieved to hear that Travis Moen didn’t suffer a “serious” injury after taking a skate to the face but apparently he was put back together by Dr. Frankenstein. I wonder how many stitches he ended up getting right there …
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)