Mar 25, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s been an awfully bumpy road to get to this spot, but at least the NHL got somewhere when it comes to its head shot epidemic. TSN reports that the NHLPA approved the proposed modifications to the league’s rules regarding hits to the head.
The temporary rule will give league disciplinarian Colin Campbell the power to hand out supplementary discipline for head hits on unsuspecting players for the remainder of the regular season and playoffs.
The institution of a permanent rule that includes an on-ice penalty — something NHL general managers recommended two weeks ago — will be discussed over the summer by the competition committee.
You may have noticed that we’ve followed this little saga for quite some time (even if one could argue that the story is far from over). Here’s a collection of links that will serve as a brief timeline of this process.
The Colin Cambell Crisis Collection - A solid anthology of the dirty/questionable/controversial hits that brought this topic to the forefront of almost every hockey debate.
Pucktales: NHL finds solution to head shots - Our humorous take on the way the league prefers to deal with problems in comic form.
So those links should give you a solid look at how quickly this situation unraveled for the league. Will this give Colin Campbell the needed authority – and flexibility – to change the league’s policies of consistent chaos to predictable, reasonable suspensions? Only time will tell, but I guess we’ll have to accept that these things won’t evolve with huge leaps. Instead, it’s obvious we’re going to have to settle for baby steps.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 16
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 27
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 20
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2