Mar 25, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
It’s been an awfully bumpy road to get to this spot, but at least the NHL got somewhere when it comes to its head shot epidemic. TSN reports that the NHLPA approved the proposed modifications to the league’s rules regarding hits to the head.
The temporary rule will give league disciplinarian Colin Campbell the power to hand out supplementary discipline for head hits on unsuspecting players for the remainder of the regular season and playoffs.
The institution of a permanent rule that includes an on-ice penalty — something NHL general managers recommended two weeks ago — will be discussed over the summer by the competition committee.
You may have noticed that we’ve followed this little saga for quite some time (even if one could argue that the story is far from over). Here’s a collection of links that will serve as a brief timeline of this process.
The Colin Cambell Crisis Collection - A solid anthology of the dirty/questionable/controversial hits that brought this topic to the forefront of almost every hockey debate.
Pucktales: NHL finds solution to head shots – Our humorous take on the way the league prefers to deal with problems in comic form.
So those links should give you a solid look at how quickly this situation unraveled for the league. Will this give Colin Campbell the needed authority – and flexibility – to change the league’s policies of consistent chaos to predictable, reasonable suspensions? Only time will tell, but I guess we’ll have to accept that these things won’t evolve with huge leaps. Instead, it’s obvious we’re going to have to settle for baby steps.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)