Mar 25, 2010, 4:23 PM EST
Colorado State college hockey player A. J. Hau is facing a charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly checking a referee into the boards after a game during the American College Hockey Association’s Division II tournament. The bump was said to have happened during a heated moment after Colorado State lost to William Paterson 5-4 in overtime. The Associated Press has the story.
“I guess he got a running start, put his shoulder down and slammed him into the boards,” said Simsbury police Capt. Matt Catania. “The kids out there on the blogs and message boards say he ‘gave him the bump.’ In our state, that’s called disorderly conduct.”
Hau told the Rocky Mountain Collegian newspaper that he “barely bumped” the referee, who had ejected him earlier in the game.
“I made a mistake and I realize that, but it’s getting blown out of proportion,” Hau told the student newspaper.
Chris Wilk, the ACHA’s executive director, said the association is looking into the incident and would announce any sanctions against the player or program once the investigation is complete.
Hau is due in Superior Court on April 1 on the misdemeanor charge. A conviction can carry a sentence of up to three months in jail and a fine of up to $500.
- Report: Devils fire coach DeBoer 0
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)