Mar 25, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
Colorado State college hockey player A. J. Hau is facing a charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly checking a referee into the boards after a game during the American College Hockey Association’s Division II tournament. The bump was said to have happened during a heated moment after Colorado State lost to William Paterson 5-4 in overtime. The Associated Press has the story.
“I guess he got a running start, put his shoulder down and slammed him into the boards,” said Simsbury police Capt. Matt Catania. “The kids out there on the blogs and message boards say he ‘gave him the bump.’ In our state, that’s called disorderly conduct.”
Hau told the Rocky Mountain Collegian newspaper that he “barely bumped” the referee, who had ejected him earlier in the game.
“I made a mistake and I realize that, but it’s getting blown out of proportion,” Hau told the student newspaper.
Chris Wilk, the ACHA’s executive director, said the association is looking into the incident and would announce any sanctions against the player or program once the investigation is complete.
Hau is due in Superior Court on April 1 on the misdemeanor charge. A conviction can carry a sentence of up to three months in jail and a fine of up to $500.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 32
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 14
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3