Mar 25, 2010, 4:23 PM EST
Colorado State college hockey player A. J. Hau is facing a charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly checking a referee into the boards after a game during the American College Hockey Association’s Division II tournament. The bump was said to have happened during a heated moment after Colorado State lost to William Paterson 5-4 in overtime. The Associated Press has the story.
“I guess he got a running start, put his shoulder down and slammed him into the boards,” said Simsbury police Capt. Matt Catania. “The kids out there on the blogs and message boards say he ‘gave him the bump.’ In our state, that’s called disorderly conduct.”
Hau told the Rocky Mountain Collegian newspaper that he “barely bumped” the referee, who had ejected him earlier in the game.
“I made a mistake and I realize that, but it’s getting blown out of proportion,” Hau told the student newspaper.
Chris Wilk, the ACHA’s executive director, said the association is looking into the incident and would announce any sanctions against the player or program once the investigation is complete.
Hau is due in Superior Court on April 1 on the misdemeanor charge. A conviction can carry a sentence of up to three months in jail and a fine of up to $500.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)