Mar 24, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
A few news items for people who are especially interested in how (and what) the sport is doing on TV.
- Apparently, Monday’s Penguins-Red Wings game is the highest rated regular season game Versus ever carried and the highest rated U.S. cable game since 2004. Here’s a little more from a press release on the subject.
VERSUS earned a .7 National HH rating and averaged 622,000 viewers for the March 22 Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings game making it VERSUS’ highest-rated and most-watched NHL regular season game in network history and the most-watched NHL regular season telecast on U.S. cable since 2004. The game peaked at a .9 National HH rating and 760,000 viewers during the live telecast.
- Considering the star power of Capitals-Penguins and the fact that the NHL Network is running its week-long free preview this week, I cannot help but wonder if tonight’s game will be the Network’s highest rated U.S. game to boot. Since I have no idea how to predict ratings numbers, I’ll instead post this fun video of the two team’s top 10 goals from this season.
- Finally, the NHL’s radio show NHL Live apparently will broadcast from Las Vegas on Thursday and Friday. Here’s a quick snippet about that show.
In addition to the event’s host, Wayne Gretzky, an impressive collection of NHL stars is scheduled to appear over the course of the show’s two-day Vegas run. Hockey Hall of Famers Luc Robitaille, Larry Robinson, Brian Leetch, Grant Fuhr and Denis Savard and Stanley Cup-winning coach Mike Keenan are among the hockey luminaries expected to drop by and chat with Craig and E.J.
I have only one request: please, spare us “Vegas, baby!” jokes. That isn’t just directed at NHL Live – that’s directed at society as a whole. That one-liner (along with “whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”) need to go away for a long, long time. How about … forever?
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)