Mar 24, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
A few news items for people who are especially interested in how (and what) the sport is doing on TV.
- Apparently, Monday’s Penguins-Red Wings game is the highest rated regular season game Versus ever carried and the highest rated U.S. cable game since 2004. Here’s a little more from a press release on the subject.
VERSUS earned a .7 National HH rating and averaged 622,000 viewers for the March 22 Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings game making it VERSUS’ highest-rated and most-watched NHL regular season game in network history and the most-watched NHL regular season telecast on U.S. cable since 2004. The game peaked at a .9 National HH rating and 760,000 viewers during the live telecast.
- Considering the star power of Capitals-Penguins and the fact that the NHL Network is running its week-long free preview this week, I cannot help but wonder if tonight’s game will be the Network’s highest rated U.S. game to boot. Since I have no idea how to predict ratings numbers, I’ll instead post this fun video of the two team’s top 10 goals from this season.
- Finally, the NHL’s radio show NHL Live apparently will broadcast from Las Vegas on Thursday and Friday. Here’s a quick snippet about that show.
In addition to the event’s host, Wayne Gretzky, an impressive collection of NHL stars is scheduled to appear over the course of the show’s two-day Vegas run. Hockey Hall of Famers Luc Robitaille, Larry Robinson, Brian Leetch, Grant Fuhr and Denis Savard and Stanley Cup-winning coach Mike Keenan are among the hockey luminaries expected to drop by and chat with Craig and E.J.
I have only one request: please, spare us “Vegas, baby!” jokes. That isn’t just directed at NHL Live – that’s directed at society as a whole. That one-liner (along with “whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”) need to go away for a long, long time. How about … forever?
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 15
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 99
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115