Mar 24, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported on Twitter that the Boston Bruins extended Andrew Ference’s contract with the team for three years and $6.75 million (or a $2.25 million annual cap hit). This makes Ference the third defensemen who will be under contract with the team going through next season.
You cannot say that Ference will ever set the world on fire. For one thing, he’s been injury prone for quite some time now – he’s been playing about 50 games per year since his first full season in Beantown. His career high of 31 points came in the 2005-06 season with the Calgary Flames.
That being said, his scouting report certainly is glowing.
Displays terrific hockey sense. Skates very well, is fearless and can log a ton of ice time. Can also play a physical game, despite his lack of size.
Honestly, if I were the Bruins, I would have tried to re-sign Dennis Seidenberg to that type of deal. If Cap Geek‘s numbers hold true, the team will have five more forward slots and two more D spots to fill with around $10 million in cap space.
As I discussed before, the team can take advantage of a bevy of draft picks and really turn things around with some shrewd moves going forward. I’m just not sure if they’re making smart decisions with some of their contract extensions.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)