Mar 24, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported on Twitter that the Boston Bruins extended Andrew Ference’s contract with the team for three years and $6.75 million (or a $2.25 million annual cap hit). This makes Ference the third defensemen who will be under contract with the team going through next season.
You cannot say that Ference will ever set the world on fire. For one thing, he’s been injury prone for quite some time now – he’s been playing about 50 games per year since his first full season in Beantown. His career high of 31 points came in the 2005-06 season with the Calgary Flames.
That being said, his scouting report certainly is glowing.
Displays terrific hockey sense. Skates very well, is fearless and can log a ton of ice time. Can also play a physical game, despite his lack of size.
Honestly, if I were the Bruins, I would have tried to re-sign Dennis Seidenberg to that type of deal. If Cap Geek‘s numbers hold true, the team will have five more forward slots and two more D spots to fill with around $10 million in cap space.
As I discussed before, the team can take advantage of a bevy of draft picks and really turn things around with some shrewd moves going forward. I’m just not sure if they’re making smart decisions with some of their contract extensions.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)