Mar 24, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported on Twitter that the Boston Bruins extended Andrew Ference’s contract with the team for three years and $6.75 million (or a $2.25 million annual cap hit). This makes Ference the third defensemen who will be under contract with the team going through next season.
You cannot say that Ference will ever set the world on fire. For one thing, he’s been injury prone for quite some time now – he’s been playing about 50 games per year since his first full season in Beantown. His career high of 31 points came in the 2005-06 season with the Calgary Flames.
That being said, his scouting report certainly is glowing.
Displays terrific hockey sense. Skates very well, is fearless and can log a ton of ice time. Can also play a physical game, despite his lack of size.
Honestly, if I were the Bruins, I would have tried to re-sign Dennis Seidenberg to that type of deal. If Cap Geek‘s numbers hold true, the team will have five more forward slots and two more D spots to fill with around $10 million in cap space.
As I discussed before, the team can take advantage of a bevy of draft picks and really turn things around with some shrewd moves going forward. I’m just not sure if they’re making smart decisions with some of their contract extensions.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)