Mar 24, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported on Twitter that the Boston Bruins extended Andrew Ference’s contract with the team for three years and $6.75 million (or a $2.25 million annual cap hit). This makes Ference the third defensemen who will be under contract with the team going through next season.
You cannot say that Ference will ever set the world on fire. For one thing, he’s been injury prone for quite some time now – he’s been playing about 50 games per year since his first full season in Beantown. His career high of 31 points came in the 2005-06 season with the Calgary Flames.
That being said, his scouting report certainly is glowing.
Displays terrific hockey sense. Skates very well, is fearless and can log a ton of ice time. Can also play a physical game, despite his lack of size.
Honestly, if I were the Bruins, I would have tried to re-sign Dennis Seidenberg to that type of deal. If Cap Geek‘s numbers hold true, the team will have five more forward slots and two more D spots to fill with around $10 million in cap space.
As I discussed before, the team can take advantage of a bevy of draft picks and really turn things around with some shrewd moves going forward. I’m just not sure if they’re making smart decisions with some of their contract extensions.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)