Mar 24, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported on Twitter that the Boston Bruins extended Andrew Ference’s contract with the team for three years and $6.75 million (or a $2.25 million annual cap hit). This makes Ference the third defensemen who will be under contract with the team going through next season.
You cannot say that Ference will ever set the world on fire. For one thing, he’s been injury prone for quite some time now – he’s been playing about 50 games per year since his first full season in Beantown. His career high of 31 points came in the 2005-06 season with the Calgary Flames.
That being said, his scouting report certainly is glowing.
Displays terrific hockey sense. Skates very well, is fearless and can log a ton of ice time. Can also play a physical game, despite his lack of size.
Honestly, if I were the Bruins, I would have tried to re-sign Dennis Seidenberg to that type of deal. If Cap Geek‘s numbers hold true, the team will have five more forward slots and two more D spots to fill with around $10 million in cap space.
As I discussed before, the team can take advantage of a bevy of draft picks and really turn things around with some shrewd moves going forward. I’m just not sure if they’re making smart decisions with some of their contract extensions.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)