Mar 23, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
For the first time since I started handing out the Bertuzzday award, there isn’t really a “hot button” issue at hand. Sure, there have been some questionable (at best) hits, but not on the atom bomb scale of Matt Cooke or Alex Ovechkin’s transgressions.
That doesn’t mean that I’m just going to roll over and die on this one, gumshoes. As a matter of fact, there is still a treasure trove of boneheaded blunders this week, so check out our nominees and then cast your vote for Bertuzzday III: shame with a vengeance!
Devan Dubnyk’s intestines: This might be as close as I’ll ever get to my dream of reading an injury report that says that someone is “day-to-day with mud butt.” In case you haven’t read it already, Dubnyk is going to need to miss the Oilers’ next game with a gastrointestinal problem. I can relate to Dubes, as Taco Bell’s fresco tacos are making me feel pretty “hour-to-hour” right now.
Rocky Wirtz: Rocky seems like Einstein compared to his father “Dollar” Bill nine times out of ten, but apparently he’s not completely immune to some brain farts. As Brandon reported earlier, the Blackhawks’ owner said that Alex Ovechkin should have been given the Hammurabi Code treatment for his hit on Brian Campbell (in other words, that Ovechkin should have been suspended for the rest of the season). Easy there, Rock.
San Jose Sharks: Most weeks I’ll try to pick on one team that is particularly lost/clueless/rudderless and this week’s nomination is the Sharks. The Coyotes are a fantastic story, but San Jose’s six game free fall is still something that deserves a bit of mockery.
Vinny Prospal: The complaints that the league only looks at dirty hits if a player sustains an injury are quite justified as little was made of Prospal’s hit from behind last Sunday. Still, take a look for yourself: it’s another example of the league’s problems with reckless and unnecessarily dangerous checks.
Other: As always, there’s a chance that I missed a significant blunder. That’s why there’s always a slot to enter your own choice (just try to remember that this is a weekly award, not a lifetime achievement kind of thing).
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 10
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 33
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 27
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 40
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)