Mar 23, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
For the first time since I started handing out the Bertuzzday award, there isn’t really a “hot button” issue at hand. Sure, there have been some questionable (at best) hits, but not on the atom bomb scale of Matt Cooke or Alex Ovechkin’s transgressions.
That doesn’t mean that I’m just going to roll over and die on this one, gumshoes. As a matter of fact, there is still a treasure trove of boneheaded blunders this week, so check out our nominees and then cast your vote for Bertuzzday III: shame with a vengeance!
Devan Dubnyk’s intestines: This might be as close as I’ll ever get to my dream of reading an injury report that says that someone is “day-to-day with mud butt.” In case you haven’t read it already, Dubnyk is going to need to miss the Oilers’ next game with a gastrointestinal problem. I can relate to Dubes, as Taco Bell’s fresco tacos are making me feel pretty “hour-to-hour” right now.
Rocky Wirtz: Rocky seems like Einstein compared to his father “Dollar” Bill nine times out of ten, but apparently he’s not completely immune to some brain farts. As Brandon reported earlier, the Blackhawks’ owner said that Alex Ovechkin should have been given the Hammurabi Code treatment for his hit on Brian Campbell (in other words, that Ovechkin should have been suspended for the rest of the season). Easy there, Rock.
San Jose Sharks: Most weeks I’ll try to pick on one team that is particularly lost/clueless/rudderless and this week’s nomination is the Sharks. The Coyotes are a fantastic story, but San Jose’s six game free fall is still something that deserves a bit of mockery.
Vinny Prospal: The complaints that the league only looks at dirty hits if a player sustains an injury are quite justified as little was made of Prospal’s hit from behind last Sunday. Still, take a look for yourself: it’s another example of the league’s problems with reckless and unnecessarily dangerous checks.
Other: As always, there’s a chance that I missed a significant blunder. That’s why there’s always a slot to enter your own choice (just try to remember that this is a weekly award, not a lifetime achievement kind of thing).
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)