Mar 23, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
There are ten games tonight and most of them will affect the playoff races to some degree. However, for the sake of everyone’s sanity, I’ll just take a look at the three that might be the most impactful.
Boston Bruins (32-27-12, 76 pts) at Atlanta Thrashers (32-29-11, 75 pts) 7:00 PM ET
This game could go a long way toward deciding whom the Eastern Conference’s eight seed will be (although is receiving the opportunity to get bludgeoned by the Washington Capitals really a prize?). I will, however, remind you that I strongly believe that Boston will be the team that makes it. Again, look at Atlanta’s last five games: two against Washington, two against Pittsburgh and one against New Jersey. Not very promising for the dirty birds.
Philadelphia Flyers (37-30-5, 79 pts) at Ottawa Senators (38-30-5, 81 pts) 7:30 PM ET
This is another game that will have a big playoff impact but might only decide which team gets manhandled by one of the East elite. With Philadelphia’s goalie problems, I wonder how much of an impact Philly can make (despite their immense talent in other areas). Ottawa might just be happy to make the playoffs, to be honest.
Phoenix Coyotes (46-22-5, 97 pts) at Chicago Blackhawks (45-19-7, 97 pts) 8:30 PM ET
Now, this is what I like to see. If you saw Saturday’s thrilling Coyotes win, you are probably as giddy as I am to see if this scrappy Phoenix squad can extend their winning streak to 10 games and take first place in the West. Just let that last thought sink in: the league-owned Coyotes could be the number one team in the West if they beat Chicago tonight. Any non-’Yotes fan who predicted that deserves a cookie.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)